Strange year fishing

blt

could be the warm winter, but the water temps really were not far off from the normal years, but.....Lack of clost to shore Flounder this spring/early summer. Seems like they never came in. At Indian River Inlet last month, TWO Mahi Mahi (dolphins) were caught. In Delaware? Then I saw a report on one of my other clubs that Redfish were being caught in Md. in the chesapeake bay in the middle section. Strange year indeed.

SaltyBuckster

Yea,the stripers were out in deep water this year pretty early.Water is pretty good now though for the fluke.Most of them are out in the channel in 50 fow though.Almost have to have a boat.Hitting it up Aug. 21 thru 25 in Belmar.

Fatman

Ok I don't fish saltwater but would the tide and warm/colder water affect them moving into places they've never been before???

SaltyBuckster

They are all in the bays because they spawn up the rivers.That's the only reason that they come in shallow water.If the bays are in the 70's water temp,the fishing is good in 7 to 8 feet of water.If it is too warm they are in deeper waters.We fish a channel at the Raretin Bay that is 50' or deeper,heck.big boats like the Deadliest Catch type go right pass us while drifting for fluke.This time last year that is where they were.This summer,just from the temps that we have been seeing,that is where they will be again.Figure 50 fow and the wind drifting the boat at 2 to 3 knots and that is why you need 3/4 oz. or bigger jig to hold bottom.

Hawnjigs

KISS
When you guys are ready for pineapple starts let me know.

I haven't fished in months, but my seasoned expert bait fisherman neighbor Banzai caught only 2 fish during a full week shoreline outing, if that means anything.

Back