Stick on eyes question?

Jighead76

I'm sure this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone has good tips for keeping on eyes? I like the walleye style heads and powdercoat but the eyes seem to fall off after a day of fishing.
I currently just go over them with Sally Hansens hard as nails when I go over my thread.
Also what's the best size for the 1/16 heads? I think I'm using 3mm still.

Kdog

I glue them on either sally hansons or if I have the time, will use devcon 2 ton epoxy. Then overcoat with same. Using the devcon I have been snagged in rocks and het the jig head back unscathed or scratched. Did have one come back with only half of an eye left.

My 1/16 will take a 4mm eye but I use both depending on what I am looking for.

Since I do a lot of jigs undressed to be used with crawlers, I frequently put my eyes on first as follows
dab of adhesive (Sally Hansens, Duco cement, Devcon 2 ton) Place eye. let cure overnight, overcoat with Hansens or 2 ton. Note the epoxy needs a jig turner to get a nice even coat.

recently I have been experimenting with GST Internationals Clear Concrete sealer. So far seems great, Jigs need to be dipped and the excess can simply be wicked away using a popsicle stick. I have found that 2 dips are required for optimal coating and sealing.

Jighead76

Thanks. I think one of my problems is the eyes are getting old and the backs arnt sticky anymore. Maybe I'll put a dab of Sally's on first and let it get tacky then stick the eye on and go over it a few times before I even get ready to tie. Make up a bunch after I paint.

Fatman

3 or 4 on a 1/16th. I use Duco cement on mine and haven't lost one yet
100_5792.jpg

Jighead76

Fatman does the duco dry clear? Do you put it on your thread too? Do you put it on the back and front of the eyes? Do you apply it with toothpicks? Im very interested in it. It sounds like good stuff.

Fatman

Yes it dries clear -
No I don't put it on my thread
I squeeze some out on tin foil and use a toothpick and put it on the jig then place the eye and it gives you a little time to make sure they're straight
I squeeze flat spots on my jigs then powder paint, cure. If you're using the walleye head with eye socket you might have a quicker time with just squeezing the bottle into the eye socket - you'd have to try it but like I said I use a toothpick. I do all one side of the jigs give it 5 minutes then flip and do the other side.

Here's some I did
100_6372.jpg

JUNGLEJIM1

I use super glue and they never come off. I normally do about a dozen at a time putting a drop in each eye socket and then add the eyes using a half hitch tool. If I put too much glue in an eye socket I use a Q Tip to absorb the excess so the eye isn't submerged in the glue.

Back