Steelhead Jig

Len

I found this pattern on Hatches website for a Steelhead Jig using a 1/16th jighead...might need a little stronger hook..

003_zps7d8f42bb.jpg

Pup

Nice jig. :cool: Going to fish it in the St. Joe River?

I've caught sizable steelhead around MC using light wire Aberdeen hooks in years past. Lost fish were due to either dull hooks or monofilament line breakage.

I'd fish that jig. :)

Len

Pup said:
Nice jig. :cool: Going to fish it in the St. Joe River?

I've caught sizable steelhead around MC using light wire Aberdeen hooks in years past. Lost fish were due to either dull hooks or monofilament line breakage.

I'd fish that jig. :)
Yep St. Joe River...since I only live a block away from the fish ladder in Central Park.

Shoemoo

I've never tried the pattern, but it looks good. Steelhead often go for bright colors

The problem with using light-wire hooks for steelhead is they bend out when you have to pull hard to turn the fish. When they're in the rivers there's usually lots of snags and sharp rocks they can make a break for.

Bucho

I lost my biggest trout ever to a broken hook tip. They break like glass if they don´t fully penetrate. Aiming at steelhead, I wouldn´nt go for anything less than a Mustad 32833 BLN.

Back