Squoccies

bombora

Two types of squid, a few types of octopus (everyone calls them occies, and one of them, the itty bitty blue ringed octopus, all of a few inches long, is fatally venomous!) and cuttlefish are all common in Sydney's saltwater - both the Harbour and open ocean. Everything eats em. Here's the latest batch of light tackle baby Squoccies:

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

Blotched brown's an "I'm scared out of my pants" colour for squid and cuttlies, and occies are usually that colour as they flit between rocks and weed. Made for ultra clear water.
Biggest one is quarter ounce, with bucktail and saddle hackles in pink and brown and some flash. This one has those eyes you fit by binding a little triangular tab which comes off the side.
The smaller 1/8th jigs have either epoxy "squid" eyes, or lumo flat stick on eyes. Really like the lumo flat eyes as I reckon with lumo, a little is enough, and big prominent eyes are such a feature of squid. They feature hackles and rabbit fur.
Tried to get an uneven blotching thing going on some by brushing almost dry white/pearl nail polish over a little piece plastic flywire held over the dark brown painted heads and thread. Then an overlay of clear copper glitter. Pics don't really pick it up. Heads are local TT bullet heads. Feathers tied "hands apart" for that squid/occie/cuttlie pulsing action happening, and UV crystal flash in the mix on some as well.
Been loving the jigs everyone's been making, just too busy to write appreciation!

Attachments

• squoccies.JPG
    squoccies.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 79
  • brownsquoccy.JPG
    brownsquoccy.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 79

smalljaw

AWESOME!!! Great representations of squid and octopus, the hair and bucktail work is flawless and the eyes make them come to life!! Great ties!!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent craftsmanship and creativity! The tabbed eye sounds interesting and comes out looking great on that bucktail tie.

Pup

Man, Bombora, I really dig those! Here in the US, I'd use them to "flip" for largemouth bass with a stout casting outfit.

Very, very cool. :cool: :cool:

bombora

Jim pretty safe from snags; I fish em around weed/kelp beds where the squid and cuttlefish lurk. Six pound Fireline and 10-12 pound leader allows ripping em off the weed if they get stuck. Pretty damn strong that Fireline. Getting em back from a rampaging rat yellowtail is another matter.......
Was reading in another part of Jigcraft about tipping jigs: these are almost unfair when tipped with a fresh caught baby squid's leg of about two inches long slid up the hook shank like a plastic worm.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas! Best wishes and bent rods to all.

Back