Squirrel Dumplings

hhawkins

Well next week I'm on vacation! YEAH! Going up to nana's and granddad's. Mom and dad are coming from N. Carolina to visit it too. Of course I'm taking my 2 rods and tacklebox and I'm also going to tote along my 20 gauge. Granddad has been wanting squirrel and he doesn't see good enough anymore to draw a bead on them. I'll do the dastardly deed, plus it will get more squirrel fur to play with. HE, HE, HE!

4 healthy squirrels
water or chicken stock to cover squirrels in pot
I even throw in potatoes, carrots, peas and corn
Garlic, onion, salt and pepper to taste

Boil until squirrel is tender and falling of bone. Take the squirrels out and pull the meat from the bones, put meat back in pot. Bring back to a slow boil and make up your dumplings;

Dumplings
2 cups of flour (I use selfrising flour)
2 teaspoons of rubbed sage
enough milk to make a loose biscuit dough (too thick and the dumplings will not get done before supper burning)

The flour from the dumplings will add alittle thickner to the soup. Enjoy!

oldfox

That sounds delecious Heather! Now to convince my big city wife that it's not squirrel... :rolleyes:

hhawkins

JIgman...LOL! Tell momma that it is chicken.
Hawn - It taste almost like the dark meat of chicken. Squirrel is like a potato, it mixes well with other flavors is the dish you are making. I could never tell a difference.
I told my momma what I was going to do for granddad while we are all vacation and she told me NO THANKS! See when my cousin and I were little, we always brought home squirrel and rabbit and kept the freezer full. We kind of burnt momma out on squirrel....:whoops: Yeah she is not up to eatting any squirrel. Oh well!

Back