Spring Bucktails

RockGeo

View attachment 6

After a number of years of following JigCraft, I have finally worked up the courage to post some of my work.  This has been a great site for me and I have learned a tremendous amount on the art of making jigs.  Thank you for sharing your skills and knowledge.  I continue to search the archives looking for new ideas, tips and creations.  The tutorials are an excellent resource as well.

I have attached some of the jigs I have tied this past week for use this spring on some of the Missouri highland reservoirs.  My "specialty" is bucktail jigs, which I dye to my color preferences.  I pour my own jig heads, powder coat them and my wife paints the eyes on them.  Any comments to help me improve my work is appreciated.

In the top photo are two 1/8 oz. spring crayfish imitations.  Spotted bass tend to feed heavily on crayfish early in the year.

The second photo is of a couple 1/8 oz. crappie jigs that are supposed to represent shad.

The third photo is of a couple 1/4 oz. bass jigs.

The last photo is a couple 1/4 oz. jigs that I have found effective on walleyes used to chasing shad.

Attachments

• Crayfish Jigs.jpg
    Crayfish Jigs.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Crappie Jigs.jpg
    Crappie Jigs.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Bass Jigs.jpg
    Bass Jigs.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Walleye Jigs.jpg
    Walleye Jigs.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 7

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't tie hair, but yours look as good as it gets.

Are you tying on collared or no collar heads ?

If no collar have you considered upgrade hooks? The Do-it STL-8M-A with 2x hooks 2 each 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, & 1/4 heads. Most weights can fit size up or down from recommended hooks.

JUNGLEJIM1

These bucktails look great and your wife does excellent work on the eyes. Bucktail isn't the easiest material to tie with so if you can tie bucktails than opossum would be a breeze for you. It works great for shad and bait fish patterns, softer and more action than bucktail. It holds dyes as well, best with a nice sized patch. Last year I purchased several skins and had two cut into crosscut strips a guy on another site cut for me.

RockGeo

Hawnjigs said:
I don't tie hair, but yours look as good as it gets.

Are you tying on collared or no collar heads ?

If no collar have you considered upgrade hooks?   The Do-it STL-8M-A with 2x hooks 2 each 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, & 1/4 heads.  Most weights can fit size up or down from recommended hooks.

Hawnjigs,

All the pictured jigs are tied on collared heads.  I am working to improve my tying on the bare hook but I'm far from proficient.  I do tie some heavier hooks on walleye heads with collars.  I'll have to look at the Do-It catalog.  Thanks for the comment.

RockGeo

Thank you for your comments.  I often read about too much hair on jigs.  I find that in the spring and fall, a slower fall for the bucktail jigs seems to enhance their appeal.  Thus, I tend to make my jigs more filled out than some recommend.  I try to ley the fish dictate what works the best and then tie the jigs up that way.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those look excellent! Great colors and nice neat ties.

For bucktail, i like tying on top a lead collar too. Trying to wrap straight on to the hook shank i get lots of loose ties that spin on the shank when i try to tighten it all down good. You are spot on with the thicker ties letting the jigs fall slower. Some of those thick bodies work great on smallies around me. If you want to mimic shiner patterns, then go sparse with the hair and lighter with the head weight.

Back