Spinning reels

basser86

What is everyone's opinion on the best spinning reel under $100 for light jigging with 6 or 8 lb. test?

hookup

What rod?

I usually fish a 6' or 6'6" and use a 2000 or 2500 sized spinning reel

A good buddy told me a long time ago spend as much as you can afford on a reel. I typically like the high end stuff, which is over your budget, but if you are mechanically inclined, but one used off the boards or flea-bay

jiggerjohn

An older ,late friend of mine, Len Hartman, once held every line class record for muskies (and other fish) in the now defunct International Spin Fishing Association. Included were a 67#8oz muskie on 12 # test, and a 49 pounder on 6 # test. Len would show up at my house for muskie fishing trips with his shiny new reels - off brand cheapos that he'd just obtained from K-mart for 12 bucks or less. As long as the front drag was smooth enough ,they functioned perfectly! Now,in my case, I wouldn't go very thrifty on a spinning reel, like Len did, but anything from Pflueger or Okuma (usually between 35-50 bucks) have proven superb for all my freshwater & saltwater jigging. Leave those high end (anything over $80 ) models for the guys that would rather look at their equipment, than concentrate on catching fish !!

Fatman

Shimano for me. 1000 or 2500 but will also depend on the rod as the 2500 is a lot heavier reel, but light jigging I'd go with the 1000 series. This is my newest one
100_6823.jpg

duffy

I'm always a bit leery of stuff at Wal-Mart or many of the big box stores because they usually have items made up just for them. Even if it's a brand name, ie Shimano, Garcia, Panasonic, Sony ect. The problem with that is that the manf usually makes cuts or leaves items off to make it cheaper. If you ever have trouble with the item most of the time you can't get parts or the manf won't even work on it for you so your better off just spending the extra $$ and get it from a reputable supplier. If it's for the kids or you just figure you'll throw it away when it breaks then it doesn't matter. They do it pretty much on everything from TV's to toilet paper.

Pup

basser86 said:
What is everyone's opinion on the best spinning reel under $100 for light jigging with 6 or 8 lb. test?

There is no best reel imo.

My favorite spinning reels for crappie fishing with 6/2 fused and 10/2 braided lines are the Shakespeare Catera 6630 (discontinued) and Pflueger Trion GX-7 4730GX (discontinued).  I own more expensive 'light' spinning reels, but these are the ones that go fishing with me the most.  I like compact reels with crisp bails weighing no more than 8 to 9 ounces and carry their fully-lined spare metal spools with me.  These are very decent bang-for-the-buck reels that I bought on clearance for a pittance.  Still smooth and no mechanical problems yet, though I do rotate their use.  Their spare metal spools are very nice to have.

If the reels interest you and you find one of them 'New In Package' (NIP) on eBay, I'd recommend bidding on it.  An updated Trion model is still being sold, though it is redesigned and no longer comes with a spare spool.  It's just not as good of a value imo.  Though, it may function just as well.

hookup

Leave those high end (anything over $80 ) models for the guys that would rather look at their equipment

High end gear catches fish too ...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/nb101307georgethurstonwf0.jpg]/img]

[ATTACH=full]21364[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]21365[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]21366[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]21367[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]21368[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]21369[/ATTACH]

JUNGLEJIM1

I'm with hookup on this one and prefer the high end reels. Main reason is the smooth drags and turning the handle is like you are turning nothing but just making the motions. I like the higher end Shimano reels from the Stradic to the Stella. I've been using some of these for over ten years and think they are smoother now than when they were new.

Kdog

Pfluger president is a good choice for less than 100 dollars.  Personally, I  like my Quantum PTIb's which are no longer made but IMO were the forerunner to the current energy PT series.  For jigging, it depends on depths and targeted species, but almost any reel will work. I still have a number of shimano siennas which are a nice inexpensive reel. If you do a lot of retrieving, the smoothness becomes a factor and the higher end reels are almost effortless.

hookup

It's been a long time since I've bought a reel in the stores. I've got a couple Fuego's for $100 a piece and a Sustain for a buck and a quarter. Still have a Ci4 I got for $100 that's never been used along with a couple Ballistics for 1/2 of what they retail. Two of the reels were brand new, seals still on the boxes.

There's allot of people who have to fish with the latest written up on Tackle Warehouse. I know others who buy new every year from Japan and then sell on eBay when they see something newer, better, improved, etc.

I'll admit, I'm a gear 'ho and must have a bit of jewish in me because I can't pass up a deal.

If you look around, you can find a deal.

NorCoMike

I love my high end gear as well it catches fish just as well as the next reel but it makes it more enjoyable for me to fish. But in your price range I would recommend the diawa ss700 great functioning reel just not as high tech as the newer reels.View attachment 6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CarsonChris

I like the pflueger patriarch and the rest of their reels. Ten bearing systems are smooth as silk. Paired with a light weight rod they can't be beat.

Fin and Fur

Found an old zebco that is in great condition, in the rafters of the garage. The old guy before us neglected to get all his stuff and left behind some cool old stuff. Gonna clean it up and test her out. Looks to be top of the line as far as zebcos go. Haven't used one in a long time except on the daughters frozen rod. Put a spincast twist on this thread.

Barefoot

Stradic FJ 1000 & 2500 series the White ones , rock solid reels .
I would have to agree but they will cost a few $s more. I have some old Stradics I use in saltwater that have never needed service.

Fin and Fur

Have a shimano symetra that I've tried to get anti reverse working properly 3 different times and I'm about to toss the thing unless anyone has a fix for it cleaned lubed tried as light an oil as possible and heavy oil too. Tried once dry and all last about half a day before anti reverse quits working again. Ideas?

duffy

When it quit's working does it quit altogether or does it just slip and or chatter? Have you ever pulled the AR bearing apart or did this just suddenly start on it's own?

Fin and Fur

Acts like you flipped the switch and it will back crank till it rat nests. No chatter or slip just free spin. Sucks when it happens while trying to set the hook or even when you just lift the tip

Back