Spinning Reel Line

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yah, we've had this conversation before but its a new year and "progress" has been made?  Personally, my fave is still long casting Nanofil 6# for trout and 8# for warm water species.  There is a caveat for using Nanofil, one must be continually vigilant remedying line twist which causes weak spots at the kinks prone to fibers shredding.  Myself, after every retrieve I let the jig dangle and spin out as much of the twist as possible, and cut out any frayed sections usually on the front end near the jig.  Many disgruntled users ditched Nanofil in disgust after breakages in use but since becoming aware of maintenance don't remember any lost fish, in fact this year a 30# carp and 40# flathead were landed on 8# Nano from shore. The main reason I prefer Nanofil is significantly fewer wind knots compared to Power Pro and Sufix 832.  I really like how rounder 832 8 carrier braid doesn't kink twist so I'll continue to use it on my 10# test beef rig, but breaking the occasional hard small wind knots that are impossible to pick out eventually depletes the spool till a new refill is necessary.

Berkley has some newer microfibers out, Fireline Ultra 8 fused and Trilene Professional Grade Braid (8 carrier) so I'm wondering if anyone has found newer and better than same ol'?

Kdog

Although not a braid, I use Tatsu almost exclusively for finesse jigging. There are so many line choices available and soo many variations on braid, its hard to keep up with them all. I like Suffix but last couple years tried some Dyeema brand inexpensive and almost a good as suffix, very durable, thin and strong. One thing I find when fall fishing which is when I use Braid a fluoro leader is almost mandatory but it also provides a good place for a small high quality barrel swivel which has done wonders as far as line twist

Hawnjigs

KISS
Researched Tatsu, apparently the most expensive line available. Hard to dismiss the many negative reviews about handling, but like Nanofil user problems are likely due to failure to adjust from previous. Still it seems that Tatsu may be best for "finesse jigging" by experts able to adapt. Tho I use OLDER tuff Yozuri Hybrid leader my area doesn't seem to require fluoro and my bud Jon sometimes outfishes me with 17# Power Pro braid LEADER !

Imagine the confused frustration of getting 16-20" trout on 4# clear leader and your bud side by side getting 8-10#ers with 17# braid leader.

Bucho

A friend, teamangler for Rapala, Sufix etc. supplied me with a sample spool of x8 Rapinova. Best braid ever. Casts like Nano but just as rugged and forgiving as any other braid. Not sure if they offer less than 0.1mm / 11lbs though.

hookup

Strongest mono I've ever used was Gamma, but to much memory

Best all around mono I've used was Tectan - just sux'd on abrasion resistance in the rocky ledgy rivers I fish

Now using Mean Green 6# and 8# when I use mono (ok, flouro picky picky)

When fishing braid, best line I've used was Samurai - but very expensive

So when I can't find deals on the Samurai, I'll use 832 in 8 & 10 #

JUNGLEJIM1

Only time I use braid is when I'm bass fishing and use 832 as well. I mainly use mono and Tectan and Maxima are my top choices. My biggest Largemouth weighed 9.5 LBS. I caught it last February using a 3/32 black hair jig on 4lb Tectan mono. Fish was so fat I thought it was a carp at first. Think it was feeding on rainbow trout that they stock in that lake in the winter months.

Kdog

Admittedly tatsu is expensive, but is strong for its size and above average abrasion resistance. Handling isssues are mostly spooling issues IMO

Hawnjigs

KISS
Another monster 30# carp a few days ago this one on 6# Nanofil. If a similar performance fused microfiber were available in a rounder 8 carrier version that would be the ultimate within current tech limitations.

hookup

Forgot to add, I fish almost exclusively for small mouth bass with the lines mentioned above

If I went for trout, it would be tectan or 4# mean green or stren blue

Hawnjigs

KISS
Update: Ditched both Fireline Ultra 8 fused and Trilene Professional Grade Braid (8 carrier). Firstly, the Fireline Ultra was actually a braid with mediocre casting and fraying issues. The Trilene Pro braid somehow managed to deplete rapidly by multiple unfixable wind knots, tho it was strong for its diameter.

Re: Nanofil first use brand new spooling of Nano 6# Chartreuse was allowing a BIG trout to slowly peel drag upcurrent under what I considered only moderate pressure when the line ticked, not snapped, at the rod tip top and I was watching aghast as the now severed line constinued moving with the fish. Jumped into the mid thigh deep water & grabbed the line but maybe because of the slack the fish had managed to throw the hook. There still being adequate line spooled next trouting trip bout mid session noticed a severed line end sticking out from deep on my Pflueger Arbor 7430 spool. WTF ! - stripping the over wraps indeed confirmed that the line had broken mid spool probably from a loose loop being fatigued by casting. 2 trips two serious problems with 6# Nano.

Then yesterday, hooked an obvious big flathead in a waterfall dump pool and was dismayed that the fish got into the too fast to fish outflow current on an unstoppable drag peeling run. Keeping pressure on followed it down a sandbar about 150' and at the end decided now or never to try to hold it from spooling the 8# Nanofil and it worked. No way possible to lift pump it started to walk the fish back inch by inch in 10-20' increments then sprinting back down to recover line. Took awhile of course, but finally the TAIL SNAGGED est 40# flattie was beached in the shallows of the bar. The 2/0 light wire Gami hook had bent out a bit but still firmly stuck into the tuff catfish hide. Released of course after that battle of a lifetime BTW in pre-dawn darkness.

So wondering if there are good & bad batches of Nanofil ? Or any line?

Kdog

Ive had bad batches but would say more likely a bad spool. I store my line the refrigerator that I use for crawlers so I dont have storage issues. cant saw what happened to the line before I got it. Ive seen a lot of spools that had some bad spots. Usually, when I spool line, I maintain tension on the line with my free hand and often can feel twists and kinks coming from the factory spool. I do use line conditioner which I think helps but is not a cure all for twists and kinks

duffy

Everyone was bragging on Power Pro so I decided to give it a try to see if it cast farther & was quieter than Fireline. Was doing some test casting with a 3/8 jig to compare it with my old FL and after about 3 casts it just broke during the cast. Thought maybe I had a nick in a guide, checked that, nope, tied on another jig and continued until about the 8th cast and same thing happened. Re-tied, cast a couple more and got snagged, "PING" broke again. It wasn't breaking in the same place either, everywhere from 10 feet from the rod to right at the rod. I just figured I got a rotten spool of line.  Oh yeh, it was #15 test.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Rapinova x8 never made it to the USA. There seems to be a new version Sufix braid 131 12 carrier available. With the incredible high price double that of 832 don't think I'll try it anytime soon. Anyone?

Finally after years figgered why Sufix 832 is the choice of many. The single Gore fiber core resists twisting - ascertained examining a cut end with the single straight stiff stronger than PE weave micro fiber protruding. But, wind knots continue to be problematic especially in line freeze conditions. Cupla nites ago had to quit fishing when little knotted loops formed on iced up line nearly every cast.

Original Power Pro if not the best remains adequately strong with reasonable castability and handling, but often needs to be de-twisted ideally detaching the jig and pulling out the twists on a limp line between thumb and forefinger.

Sounds like you got a bad batch of 15# Power Pro Duffy, like the 6# Nanofil I got.

No longer use Nanofil day to day, 8# in reserve for max long cast applications only as needed.

Back