Question on unspooling and respooling a spinning reel with the same line

Shoemoo

I have had 12 pound test Nanofil on two of my reels for a couple of years, and the line volume is starting to get a bit low. I'd estimate the spools are about half full. The line itself is perfectly fine, it's just getting to the point where increased friction against the lip of the spool is reducing my casting distance.

It's not a cheap line, so what I would like to do is strip the Nanofil off, put some mono backing on the spool and wind the same line back on. That should help it fill out so I can use all the Nanofil.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this if you don't have an expensive line winding station?

Kdog

Fill the reels as they are with your backing.
Go to a football field stretch line out till spool is empty.
Cut off from reel
Go to other end of line. re-tie and rewind onto reel.

Fatman

If both spools are half full, tie the end of one line onto the other reel and spool it onto the other reel. Fill the empty spool with backing, nail knot the nano line onto it and fill it back up. Now unless you have a spare spool the second reel you'll have to go Kdogs way, but at least one will be easy.

I always have at least 2 spare spools for all my reels, but an alternate is to keep the spools the line comes on, and you can take some washers and bolt and hook it up to a drill and then spool it back onto that then go from there to get the other one done.

Back