Spinner bait and buzz bait painting

Squeakyboatcaptain

All you paint gurus out there... How do you paint the heads on Buzz baits and big spinnerbaits?? Heat and tap on paint?? They are too bulky to dip I would think.. Or you would need to have a cup for the fluid bed with notches or slots to slide the bait down to reach the paint???
All my crappie buddy's would give me the cold shoulder if they knew I was going to make some Green trout baits... So.. Shhhhhh!!!

toadfrog

Can dip the base coat .
Construction of a spinner bait powder bed for dipping . Take a piece of Pvc 2''or bigger pipe depending on the size of the spinner head . cut it 1/2'' longer on both ends than your spinner bait from bend of hook to the line tie . glue end caps on it . Cut this down the middle to make an elongated tray . Clamp it in a vise or make a stand for it . Fill your tray with powder paint .
Bait preparation .
Cover your spinner hook and wire with tin foil heat and dip . Then tap on your other colors heating each time a new color is applied . Finally bake it out .

JSC

When you heat concentrate on getting the heat on the head ... Hold with spinner/buss bait wire ... dip hook first into cup (standard sized Fluid Bed Cup) then "tap" off excess ... have a rag handy and dust hook off.

I then slightly heat to "Tap" on any other color/colors. Works for Me. Hope this helps ...

Jig Man

I enjoy hitting the fish cleaning station with a couple of big ole bass and listen to em cry... Believe it or not catch and release is workin so well on some of our lakes they had to change the size and length limits.

Squeakyboatcaptain

It was a nice change of pace when I fished the Skeeter owners tourney with the wife... We caught some really nice bass... Plus my son can't stand just dropping a line straight down!! He wants to hum a bait as far as he can cast it and reel it in... So... Bass fishing will not go away... I need that boy to get broke in.. And if it costs me some lost Crappie time... I'll take it! Lol

smalljaw

I spray the powder on with a Badger model 260 hobby sand blaster, this is what is being sold as the powder paint air brush and it works very well. The thing I tell people is to practice using different air pressures as it will let you add shading effects as well as multiple colors but it does require some time to get used to it, I'll post some of what I painted with it.

DSCF10942_zps5810576f.jpg

DSCF07012.jpg

Pepop

Squeakyboatcaptain said:
It was a nice change of pace when I fished the Skeeter owners tourney with the wife... We caught some really nice bass... Plus my son can't stand just dropping a line straight down!! He wants to hum a bait as far as he can cast it and reel it in... So... Bass fishing will not go away... I need that boy to get broke in.. And if it costs me some lost Crappie time... I'll take it! Lol

double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon_zpsf7eed1dd.gif You Betcha Dad! Keep that boy interested in fishin, whatever you have to do.

Squeakyboatcaptain

Smalljaw.. I have the badger brush, but I can't get it to spray th powder worth a dang.. I need to work on it some more... I guess the settings just aren't right... I have messed with the pressure quite a few times... Just can't get it to spray decent.

smalljaw

Squeakyboatcaptain said:
Smalljaw.. I have the badger brush, but I can't get it to spray th powder worth a dang.. I need to work on it some more... I guess the settings just aren't right... I have messed with the pressure quite a few times... Just can't get it to spray decent.

When you set your regulator try to stay between 1 to 3psi going below 1 will make it tough for dense powders to go through and it will clog. The other thing is the pick up tube, if you are spraying directly out of jars then you need to shorten it, if you are spraying out of the larger glass jar then make sure you shake the paint really well before spraying. Once I get some better light in my shop I'll try to make a video on how I use it, I started doing it in 05 and in 06 I saw an add for a powder paint air brush and I could have cried for not thinking about marketing it to spray powder.

yakfish

smalljaw said:
I spray the powder on with a Badger model 260 hobby sand blaster, this is what is being sold as the powder paint air brush and it works very well. The thing I tell people is to practice using different air pressures as it will let you add shading effects as well as multiple colors but it does require some time to get used to it, I'll post some of what I painted with it.

DSCF10942_zps5810576f.jpg

DSCF07012.jpg

Man those heads look fantastic. I just got my first spinnerbait mold and have been working on how to paint the spinnerbait heads and haven't been very pleased with my results so far. I guess I need to invest in an airbrush for powder.

Squeakyboatcaptain

I'm gonna work at getting the airbrush up and running soon... I am sure I'll be hitting you up for some advice SJ!! I am using the jars that came with it... And I did trim the hose slightly... I think my problem is in the adjustment on the flow on the brush itself...

smalljaw

Squeakyboatcaptain said:
I'm gonna work at getting the airbrush up and running soon... I am sure I'll be hitting you up for some advice SJ!! I am using the jars that came with it... And I did trim the hose slightly... I think my problem is in the adjustment on the flow on the brush itself...

There really is no flow adjustment on it except for the pick up tube adjustment and it really doesn't control flow. The 2 biggest things are making sure the paint is fluffed up and that the tube isn't clogged and the compressor settings. Lower settings you just use a pulse type action to put fair amount of paint on one spot with the lure close up. When you go up in pressure you hold the lure further away and you get more of a mist, this is what I do when I want a blue or green hue over a pearl. You can't paint detail with the brush, fine lines aren't going to happen because of the way powder paint works but if you practice you can create really good blended colors and fading effects, just mess with it but I am going to find a way to do a video tutorial on how to work with it.

Back