spider rigging

Bucko

I've seen it in some shows but have never seen it done here up north. but the idea of it intrigues me. no idea how to do it but would like to learn the basics of it. do any of you other northerners spider rig? is it just a southern tactic?

Pepop

One thing for sure, it's only done where regulations allow multiple lines/hooks in the water. Many state's only allow an angler 1 rod/hook in the water at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papaperch

Bucko- was introduced to spider rigger by a North Carolina fisherman. Guy was probable in his mid 80's and sharper than a new tack. He had his boat set up to handle 12 rods. Most of the time he used 4- 6 depending on how they were hitting on any one day.

I could not wait to try it when I got back home to Ohio. Trouble is you can only use 2 rods in Ohio . I can't see the purpose of that law but I must obey it. This really cuts down on the systems main strong point. Presentation of several types of baits and numerous depths. After trying it for a few years in Ohio I went to other methods or returned to old ways.

A system I have been playing with is drop shotting. Like the fact the fish never swallow the hook and allow for faster release or freezer dunk for the prey. Been using one in hand and other in rod holder..

plateboater

Can "troll" 3 in IL and I am using 3 poles to spider rig. I get strange looks in Central IL using a spider rig but knock the fire out of crappies!! Last year example....30 boats floating around for crappies I was one of two boats with real spider rigs set up on boats to catch crappies.

Kdog

I fish in Ohio 2 line/3 hooks each and Indiana 3 lines/3 hooks each. I about crack up seeing some of the pictures where a boat has so many poles sticking out it looks like a willow tree. I know there are a lot of spider riggers that fish 6-8 poles and I gotta wonder how they keep from getting those lines tangled. For me it is rare to got out and not catch a bunch of whisker fish and carp. Some of which are > 10# and pretty feisty I can only imagine the mess they could make if there were 5 more lines to run thru.

Hats off to y'all. Fishing my 2 poles or 3 poles depending on where I am at keeps me plenty busy and a lot of time, I will have 3 poles rigged but only fish with one. It is a style of fishing that most likely, I will never experience. So good luck and go catch some fish. Remember, you only need 1 rod and 1 hook to catch a fish!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Friday we had 10 poles out with two of us in the boat. When im by myself I usually just use 6. The bottom line is Once you get the hang of it you will catch WAY more fish. I had the opportunity to fish with a 3 time masters champion this past weekend. (As far as tournament fishing goes) He kept saying the moment you pick up a rod and hold it in your hand... You might as well load the boat the boat up on the trailer!

There are many out there nowadays, but a couple spider rigs ive used and liked are Titelock and Spiderlok

hunter7711

This is the ONLY rod holder to get. Spiderlok It will adjust any way you want. http://www.millenniummarine.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

I've been spider riggin for 6 years. I would rather feel the thump but it is really a effective way to fish. Most guys fish 14' rods but I prefer 12'. If I am by myself I use 4 rods that gives me a 28' spread. two straight out the front and the other two out about 150 degrees from them. I have a dub-l-seat in my boat that allows two people to fish side by side. We then have 8 rods out.

Back