South Dakota!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
wonder if this will work.....

quivira kid said:
Well, JerknperchSD aka Andy talked me into heading up north for an early ice trip. Then I talked my grandpa into making the trip with me, and we made it happen.
First morning, we decided to go to an ace-in-the-hole crappie spot before trying for what were really after, perch. Six of us ended up putting 54 black crappie, 2 big bluegills, and a walleye on the ice in about an hour and a half! Once the sun got up, they got super picky so we decided to go find some perch. Well, apparently they were biting great early and then shut off. Ended up with 13 for the day. Here's a pile shot...

374259_658150933863_77201780_33695027_1154029637_n.jpg

The crappies were all cookie cutters... Blacks 11-12.5" and thick. Here's me with one of the bigger blacks and a nice perch.

397208_658151492743_77201780_33695032_16344045_n.jpg

The fish were WAY turned off sunday, and we were lucky we got these:

392741_658151842043_77201780_33695034_927489136_n.jpg

Crossed a few off the bucket list with this trip! Gonna have to make another to get myself a nice perch... I caught a couple keepers, but nothing impressive. The aggressive, nice blacks through the ice were awesome! We got into some dinky perch that would come 5ft off the bottom as the jig was falling to hit. Did some sight fishing! South Dakota was awesome. Definitely going back!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Almost worked as just a quote - but still needed to put the pics back in. :rolleyes:

Sounds like your Saturday trip was excellent. :cool: DUDE - if those crappie were all 11"+ then those were some meaty perch!!!!!!! Looks like you might have a couple 10"ers? In my experience on just about any lake with yellow perch, you will sort through a LOT of dinks during any season. My Dad keeps them down to 6.5" (he says his minimum is 7" but he stretches those poor fish) on his boat on Erie. A friend of mine got a 14.25" one last season that was brought home and mounted!

We (as in the other ice meat heads on the southern edge of the ice belt) need some more details. Ice looks pretty white.... how thick? And what was the bait that worked - gills, crappie, perch, wareye? Hope you took some spoon droppers.

Did some sight fishing!
Sweet - Have 1 super clear lake here you can do that. Belly down on the ice and block out the sunlight you can see down 20+ feet. :cool:

.....was told I'd swear off crappie once we layed into a mess of perch fillets! We'll see this week if they're lying to me or not.....
I wouldn't say swear off, but they are close!!!!! Good eating - got to let us know how they cook up.

quivira kid

Most of the ice was clear and we saw everything from 8 to 13" for thickness. Most was around 10".
As far as baits, I mainly used Custom Jigs and Spins "Diamond Jigs" in a size 12 with a Little Atom "Micro Nuggie". Pink head/white plastic for the crappies, froggie head/white or blue plastic for the perch. The other guys were using diamond jigs, tungsten jigs in similar style, little spoons, chubby darters, minnows under slip bobbers... A little bit of everything.

Jig Man

Nice fish. You guys a fortunate to have two other fish as good eating as crappie... As for me I'm waiting on spring thaw... :)

Radtexan

Great report Zac....Ice fishin is one thing Ive never done,but for action like that Im willing to give it a shot !!!

Fatman

Great pics!!!!!!! Perch are excellent fresh, but cleaning alot of them gets boring LOL. There is a way to clean them leaving the bones in and after cooking it peels the meat right off. Saves filleting them.

SaltyBuckster

I saw your post and went over to C.C and looked at the pics,lol.I forgot I was a Moderater there.First time there in a year.Great catch.Glad you got some nice perch.

Back