Something different

StumpHunter

I received a mail order last week and when I opened the package they had used some kind of silver sheets as a packing material. Soon as I seen the material I knew I was keeping it for later use. After looking at it laying beside my tying table for a few days :-/ I couldn't stand it just laying there so I started playing with different ideas to use this material.
This is the jigs I came up with. I'm calling these Tater Bugs and tied them in 1/32 and 1/16. I tested one of the 1/32 jigs while bream fishing this week. Throwing them out and a slow retrieve and the bream liked them.

Tater Bugs

Attachments

• Tater Bugs 007.JPG
    Tater Bugs 007.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Tater Bugs 011.JPG
    Tater Bugs 011.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 96
  • Tater Bugs 018.JPG
    Tater Bugs 018.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Boyds Mill Pond 5-13-14 029.JPG
    Boyds Mill Pond 5-13-14 029.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 97

Hawnjigs

KISS
Not that it doesn't work, but I've never liked smooth mirror flash which doesn't seem to occur biologically, and the material has a more natural matte appearance. The legs look natural, and a simple tie too.

Looks like an exceptional gill !

StumpHunter

Keith it doesn't matter if nothing looks like them in nature when fishing for gill, crappie or bass. We been catching fish on the Rooty Tooty 309 jigs every since the 60's and the slick wing with some shine is what makes those jigs work so well. His jigs (Tommy)doesn't have as long of a wing case as this jig

View attachment 2

James Coveington here in York has been tying small 1/32 oz jigs for years that are tied using kip tail and some of his best jigs for shooting dock has a silver short wing although he his many different color combos that works great.

I do believe in tying flies you need to stay with natural looking materials but tying jigs, well the sky is the limit at my vise.

Attachments

• Rooty Tooty 309.jpg
    Rooty Tooty 309.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 70

smalljaw

Way to think outside the box and the bugs look cool with that material, I bet they keep working well as they probably have some great flash!!! Awesome work!!!

Back