Some of My Winter Weapons

papaperch

winterweapons.jpg

The big ones on the right are an experiment this year. Figured I would try the bigger one on walleyes and maybe slab crappie thru the ice.

The other smaller ones with the eyes are proven producers over the years.
Over the years the red eyes have been a go to.

The spoons with dropper hooks are great panfish lures .The swedish pimple in 1/12 oz size is what I like for panfish. These also work great in open water but I will use this size up to 1/4 oz. You can tip the dropper hook with anything. The two in the middle are custom paint jobs the one on the right is not a swedish pimple but a Northland product. It has shown some promise.

papaperch

Not the 1/8 oz but the 1/16 oz has always worked for yellow perch thru the ice. Either chartreuse or green.

toadfrog

That is one thing I've never made . Every ten years or so we have enough ice to try ice fishing . But I never worked up the nerve to chance it . Great looking lures . I agree with the red eyes .Seems to tip the scales in our favor .

papaperch

I use fedders and hair on some. BUT I found out over the years less is more especially when it comes to ice fishing. Way back when seemed like the older and beat up jigs got more attention thru the ice.

So to answer your question yep I use it but try to keep it to minimum. Like if I tie one with a rubber tail . I use 1 chunk of rubber skirting and tie a little knot on the end that sticks out.

I use some hackle on my pin mins and spoons. Usually use scraps from tying hackle on open water jigs.

Back