Some mylar tubing

Mooki

I was rummaging through a box of "stuff" the other day and found some mylar tubing.
Pretty coarse struff, was thinking about how to use it for jigs.
Can't really put it on after the hair, as is done for flies, so went to Google to get some inspiration.
Basically came up with the following where the tubing acts as a "fluffer" for the skirt, although the term does feel a bit weird  :p

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

Attachments

• coll_1.png
    coll_1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • coll_2.png
    coll_2.png
    959.2 KB · Views: 6
  • coll_3.png
    coll_3.png
    978.5 KB · Views: 6

ridgeliner

Tie in a little longer piece of mylar. After you tied it in , grab your bodkin. Starting at the tie in point, slowly and carefully work your bodkin down the mylar. The strands will separate. You will need to do this a few times to get a good separation. You do not have to add any marabou or hair on the tail. These have worked for me and a couple friends of mine. It's worth a try.

Mooki

Thanks for feedback.
I tried something similar to what you describe on my first couple of tries, in my case the tubing is full of annoying plastic threads that get in the way - had to cut them off to avoid a complete mess.
Haven't tried those yet, but the ones with the mylar underneath the hair actually look pretty nice in the water - if the hair covering is thin it sort of gives the illusion of a shimmering body.
I prefer the white tube with lightly colored hair on top, and the fish seem to agree :)

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looks good as a visible undertie if the over allows it to show thru. Sounds like you're catching fish, so its all good.

I tried tying with the stuff, too much trouble and Flashabou has the same flash effect.

duffy

I like the way it flair's the hair out, gives it a broader profile. Does it stay flared out or does it collapse back into a tube? I also have some tubing but it pretty small and I never knew what do do with it.

Back