Some Marabou Jigs

smalljaw

I made a bunch of these for a friend that is going after brown trout, I guess they are pretty big as these are what he wanted. These are all 1/16oz ball head jigs with a size #2 sickle hook, and all the marabou is tied in hackle style. The top jig is white with both white and black marabou with gray shad chenille, the middle jig is painted light olive with both olive and chartreuse marabou and excelsior olive chenille, and the last jig is black with black marabou and fat head minnow chenille. All of the jigs have some flash tied in but just a little bit, because I tied the marabou in hackle style the fibers of the feather will fan out letting light reflect off the flash, I hope these work for him, anyway, what do you guys think?

DSCN04072_zps4a51f0be.jpg

StumpHunter

Sweet jigs. I wish I fished for trout big enough for those hooks :) We do have a lake with some big browns but everyone uses down riggers to get down to the depths. The lake has places of 300' to 400' depths and it blows up easy with a little wind, to much for my small boats.

Bucho

Never fished plain marabou jigs for browns but size and colour seem prefect! My first brown on a jig fell for a brown marabou spinner pretty much the same size which was inspired by the march showcase. This reminds me of a saltwater flyfisher that when he finally got permisson to fish in a stream, he caught 2 out of 4 twenty-inchers that were taken on opening day. He simply found himself the deepest pool around and chucked large, heaviely weighted wooly buggers into them, like he had learned to do in the baltic.

@stump: I do most of my brown trout fishing in a kayak on the baltic sea. 1/8th to 1/4th baitfish boolies like the one in my avatar work very well there. I troll them with the rod in my hand, giving them some action.

You may not always reach down to where they feed, but they will rise up to warmer water layers that help them digest their prey. You´d be surprised how many rods on those trolling boats are running sideplaner rigs a few feet below the surface.
Also, there are very interesting trends implementing speed jigging techniques for large browns on the great lakes and the finger lakes. Ahh, and then there is mooching, and my personal favorite, modified jet divers... A jet diver #20 will reach 40`on thin superbraid no props. Wich will usually do the trick, since browns have an open air sack. That means that for a decent offering, they will rise vast distances in the water column. The Britisch fish for their ferox with large nothern pike size baits, and they don´t know what a downrigger is. Sorry for the OT, but when it comes to large browns...

smalljaw

Thanks guys! The place he goes is awesome, at certain times of the year you'll see guys that look as if they are bass fishing, they have 3.5" and 4" jerkbaits and the browns that hit them are like 17" and up. When I did these last year I thought they were too big for trout, and I still do but I figure if they hit those big minnow plugs then this should be easy for them to eat.

Back