Some Chunks (6-15-12)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got out last Friday for a solo trip to Willard Reservoir in the evening for about 2 hours just before dark. Found a bunch of male B.Gills holding out over deep water just around the corner from one of the known spawning areas. Think they will be up spawning by the next Full Moon. Found them by shear accident after spending an hour searching. The 2nd hour of fishing was just plain 'ol fun.

The board on my little cleaning table is exactly 9" wide. :cool:

View attachment 1

2 @ 9"
2 @ 8.5"
3 @ 8"

Attachments

• 100_5044_e.jpg
    100_5044_e.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 82

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Duh...... forgot to mention the HOW that is oh so important. :D

Tried kiptail jigs (no bait tip) in black and chart. and was catching lots of dinks but nothing to take home. Switched up to a small 1/32 painted head (Lead Free, M-Tad 32833 hook) with a crawler chunk and caught a few more dinks. Then i moved over adjacent to the boat ramp (spawn area) and started casting out over 20+ FOW with the crawler/jigs and found the male gills. Was letting it just fall - watch the line for a twitch - then set the hook. Seemed like they were holding about halfway down the water column.

Talked to 3 guys who came in off boats while i was at the ramp....... they all claimed the bite was all but dead today until they looked in my bucket. They were all after yellow perch but all 3 decided they might try to find bluegill next trip after they saw the size of these ones. haha!!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
quivira kid said:
...They just make you smile when they turn sideways and try shaking the rod out of your hand, don't they?

Heck yes! Amazing how hard they pull and was thankful there was no obstructions nearby - they were pulling me and my UL rod-4lb line all over. One of the bigger ones even made my drag squeal for a short run. :cool:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
EVERYONE in my family (including parents and in-laws) love fish............... except for one. My son sinks low in his chair when he sees we are having fish for supper. Allthough a bribe of ice cream after dinner will usually get him to tough it out and eat a piece.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Same fish time........

Same fish channel.........

Just one week later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 B.Gills, 1 R.Bass and a 15.5" walleye. :icon14: 3 of the B.Gills went Fish Ohio Certificate status at 9". :cool:

View attachment 2

Attachments

• 100_5076_e.jpg
    100_5076_e.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 14
Back