SOME BIGGER BOOLIES

JUNGLEJIM1

Barrelhead I call a pillhead and weighs 1/16 oz. This mold I've had for a few years now. I don't use it as much as I should because I like the smaller weight pillheads better,easier to pour.

jiggerjohn

Some beautiful Boolies there,ole pal -and I,too, like your bigger pillhead for these!! I've been making a bigger Boolie,also, for this year's pike & muskie -been using Hawn's 1/10 oz HU head with a 1/0 hook and have been tying on up to a 6" tail of red or black,relatively thickly clumped, satin strands. The main body is,of course, wool with red & black satin fibers surrounding. Especially the long ,flowing tail is dynamic with the motion imparted through the propeller!

eyecrosser

I've never seen a Boolie jig before coming to this site. Closest I have come is a Northland Whistler jig. How do you fish these jigs??? Vertical? Rivers? Or just a cast and slow retrieve? I love the concept and may have to add a few to my arsenal.

jiggerjohn

Eyecrosser, When I first came up with the idea for a Boolie, I actually wanted to take my rabbit/flash tail jig (1/24-1/32) and fish it vertically -on the drop ,under a slip float.The prop spins easier & at slower speed than any other blade, so any diving jighead sets it into motion. It worked so well,that I eventually used them without a float, slow & steady with a series of drops (the propeller functions smoothly on the drop down or while pulled straight up-this latter motion superb for largemouth bass along a rock ledge or wall)).For a longer tail as shown above, the easy turning,constant motion spinner creates a neat little water turbulance that adds a lot of swimming action to any material.

JUNGLEJIM1

The paint in the second picture was purchased from fishingskirts.com and has a silver foundation starter coat after which I applied candy yellow to get that color. Paint is similar to silver vein but a little different. I've had good luck on the smaller size boolies so I made these for some river applications.

Back