soft plastic helgrammite tipping

jiggerjohn

Though a rather stormy, cold front laden summer here in PA , I've enjoyed consistent action from much testing with a special 2" soft plastic helgrammite as a tipping for my woolie& boolie jigs. The unique, coffee-scented model I've been using is from a small but energetic company in the Midwest - www.crabbybasslures.com . So far,it's produced large & smallmouth bass, rainbow trout (in August from small streams!!), crappies (lots of nice ones!),carp, drum, and panfish, even when those around me & live baiters were doing next to nothing! On a recent trip to Lake Erie, I worked a small shallow section of a creek that feeds into the big lake and took my biggest small stream smallie ever, followed up by the longest drum I'd ever seen in such shallow water. Other fish jumped on,too, all on a tiny Woolie tied on Hawn's 1/64 oz darthead + the plastic helgie !Just tied up very sparsely and drifted by boulders in the slow current with a few twitches near bottom in key positions, they couldn't seem to resist all those flapping legs!! Hopefully, If I can interupt Keith from all his packing for the big move to NE, I'll try to coerce him into posting my smallie picture!

JUNGLEJIM1

Live hellgrammites have always been killer here, I imagine scent ones would work here as well. Love seeing the smallie pics, especially bigger ones.

jiggerjohn

Thanks, Keith, for transferring those pics above! In that first photo, the smallies,sheepshead, and rock bass seemed concentrated in a small section just out from that downed limb on the mid left of the pic. Out there,both a big rock in midstream and a series of trenches(3-4' deep) or limestone ledges gave structure to that deepest(??) section. Maybe a better description is in this small article I did following that short trip, for a small Ohio sportsmen's newsletter:
"Dad, this narrow "crik" is too shallow right now for any real fish,so I'll just go catch a few crayfish in downstream riffles for use in the big lake," said son Sean. We were working a shallow stream that feeds into Lake Erie, normally even lower in level during August, but somewhat salvaged due to the frequent rains in northeast Ohio throughout this wild weather summer.

The flow was slow,water semi-clear, and I could make out most of the bigger bottom rocks, down at 4' in the deepest sections. I figured a home altered, 6'4" ultralight, old fashioned fiberglass rod(really not much more than a 4 weight flyrod) would permit a subtle presentation & easily whip out a 1/64th oz Hawn dart jig on skinny 4 pound test line. The lure,of course, was one of Red Denmark's famous wool& fabric ties, skimpy in material due to such a light jighead. But unique for stream smallmouth fishing was the the small 2" soft plastic helgrammite tipping -an important addition that has produced bass, trout,crappies, carp, and panfish all through this tough summer.

I began by casting upstream and watching my wiggly little offering glide toward bottom while drifting with the minimal current. It certainly looked real, though I couldn't determine whether this brown bait (from crabbybasslures.com) looked more like a helgie, crayfish, or goby. I'm not sure that bass had time to make that decision either, as the first big rock I found near the midstream bottom quickly produced 3 hard fighting, leaping smallies! Also rock bass ,chubs, and fallfish decided this jig n helgie looked tasty!

Initial water disturbance seemed to shut the activity down, so I waded and fished up and around this longish pool. A hit here and there, but no solid takers. Soon, Sean & grandson Dra called across, stating that they had enough crabs to fish in Lake Erie that evening, and the hot afternoon sun was causing them enough discomfort for us to think about leaving.

I walked across the shallow rocks at the head of the pool, and drifted the helgie combo down as I went. Nearing son & grandson, I made one final cast into a deeper cut among the limestone ledges, then detected stoppage and a slight tug! Lifting the long rod just a bit, my no. 10 hook hit massive resistance, and a hard run was under way toward down river. What the heck, I was headed that way anyway, and yelled for Sean to break out the camera! I played her lightly, and in about 10 minutes brought my biggest ever creek smallie to land. Quick photo, and she swims there still!! Of course I couldn't quit without "one last cast (!!!), so made another flick to the edge of a deep rectangular shaped rock that I'd spied . I gently shook my helgie as the jig combo touched down near one corner of the flat rock, and something even bigger than the dandy smallie nailed it! When I glimpsed the profile of this monster I was thankful for a healthy heart ! Turned out, it WAS way bigger than the smallie, but proved to be my biggest ever freshwater drum from a tiny stream!!

It stormed overnight after that,and next day this calm stream hole was a raging,muddy torrent! But I have my special jig n helgie ready for calm Autumn days ahead!

JUNGLEJIM1

Small hook must have stuck in the right place, usually throw something that small on a jump, at least with me. Dandy smallie !! Years ago we had a secret hole on the river that was deep in the middle of nowhere with one root wad at the top. I caught more smallies over 3lbs out of that hole in several trips than everywhere combined in my life along with some big channel and flathead catfish using live crawfish. Averaged over 20 per trip. Next year high water came and when we finally fished it the hole was filled in. Rivers constantly change but it was fun while it lasted.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful smallmouth! Don't see them get that large in Ohio rivers very often.

I do agree, Hellgie patterns are a must during the summer for rivers. Dragging buggy/leggy baits slow and steady is the only thing that will get bit somedays.

The shale cliff looks familiar...... is that Mill Hollow? Been quite a few years since i have been over there, but was also a good deep slot just downstream of there, if i am thinking of the right spot. A ledge dropped down a couple of feet into a pool with lots of big boulders. Of course as JungleJim mentioned, rivers change their faces pretty often.

jiggerjohn

Russ, Your memory is as sharp as your jig ties-yep, Mill Hollow ! We usually only get up there for an hour or two each trip, so as to concentrate on the piers into Erie. One of these days I'm gonna take a canoe all the way up the stream (starting from deeper sections, toward those shallow upper reaches) and really concentrate on a BUNCH of deeper holes,fallen trees, and boulders! But, heck, this year ,despite wind and murky water, the crappies off lake side piers were very large and plentiful, as were the largemouth bass- and both species went nuts over a 1/24 oz Boolie with the helgie trailer (could've mistaken it for a mayfly!).

JJ1, Those no 10 vmc hooks(and no 8s on 1/24 oz Boolies) seem to stick and HOLD better than anything; in fact, I really had to WORK to unlodge them from the smallie& sheepshead! But I rarely have trout,bass,cats,drum, or crappies able to throw those tiny hooks-they sink instantly into front jaws and are so small & firmly implanted that no mouth holes are built to allow them to drop out. I also had a "secret" spot locally-really only a brook that came from the dam of a small lake;BUT there was a hole below a bridge just downstream which had 6' depths and undercuts in eroding concrete. Escapees from the lake dwelled there, and a bit of casting with a boolie produced truly nice sized channel cats and hefty largemouth bass! As you mentioned,tho, things change-when the county repaired that old bridge,all that good bottom structure was cleaned up & the monsters don't pause in there anymore!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Holey shirt - two guys states apart fished the same section of crik ?!

Packing up my gear to move found an old bag of (eBay) Power Bait Helgies that look just like JiggerJohn's. Guess I'll have to give it a go, even tho I gave up soft plastics years ago.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Only done a little fishing there. There is a beautiful picnic area nearby and took my family there when the kids were very young. Have a picture somewhere of my daughter wading with a minnow net in hand searching for craws....... with that exact section of shale bluff in the background.

You could always get your self a pack or black or brown hackle and palmer a leggy body on a jig. Makes a decent hellgramite look-a-like. Of course no scent involved though.

hookup

I had good luck with Case hellgies back in the day. To bad Charlie sold the company or I'd still be fish'n them.

Hawnjigs

KISS
To me, looks more like a spot for folding chair worm drowners, so disguised by appearance, maybe there may be other trophies lurking? Did you try the head of the pool? Can you walk to other pools?

jiggerjohn

Thanks guys, for your encouraging comments!

Hawn - Yeah, that wonderful shallow pool looks to be a deceiving, peaceful sort of place -one day some young teens came down to swim there (much to my despair!),because as Russ mentioned, it is right below a beautiful& popular public park. Yet I've rarely seen anglers down there (tho understand it is popular when steelheads come roaring up during late Fall !). And it obviously holds some other lunker bass - I saw one clearly dart upstream about 10 feet after my helgie jig,then dive down for it,but didn't take, and had another hooked (again saw her clearly -VERY nice size) but ole clumsy me allowed a "premature release ", despite your great hooks! And lots of pools running downstream ,if ever I decide to spend an entire day after those smallies that no one seems interested in! Also learned that a new canoe rental is available in the small town, where I could paddle upstream and hit LOTS of important smallie structures in that 3-4 mile stretch !! Gettin my bools& woolies tied, with new helgies due in!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dunno, those riffles look tricky for a float craft. I've only gotten (smaller) smallies in reservoirs, & imagine the battle must be more exciting in a small stream, especially on your ultra light gear. With the abundance of crabs, I'm thinking monster cats might be lurking too.

Back