Smok'n

hookup

I don't eat very much of what I catch, mostly because I believe the water quality is poor.

But I do like salmon & since I got a smoker, get raving reviews on my smoked salmon.

Here's what I do

Mix together soy sauce, teriaki sauce, a couple drops of worchestire sauce, brown sugar, powdered ginger, garlic, and onion powder. When I eat it I add a healthy squirt of rooster sauce (vietnamese Sriracha sauce).

Marinate the salmon for altleast 4 hours.

Turn smoker on low (180-190dF) and add wood of choice. I have a propane smoker & use allot of wild cherry wood because I got it free, but any fruity woods good.

Smoke until the meat flakes in the thickest part, let rest in foil for 15 minute & serve on Ritz.

I've tried this with other fish and its ok, but this receipe with salmon or wild trout is the cats meow.

StumpHunter

A friend gave me his old smoker and I have never used it.... Ready don't know where to start but that salmon does sound good.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, that sounds good. Need to go get some cats from one of my local reservoirs and do some smokin' myself. Have been thinking of trying some white bass or white perch also. Usually do mine with a cajun bite but may have to try your mix.

StumpHunter - just put ANYTHING in the smoker! Even simple boneless/skinless chicken breast with hot pepper cheese. :icon14: :icon14:

redman

I like to smoke catfish and use a similar recipe. We have Jackfish here which is a chain pickerel. They are good smoked or pickled. I have never did a crappie they are to good to smoke and I love them fried. With Catfish I like to brine them first. We use to smoke yellow perch back in the mid-west. Now that was some good eating. I have even been known to buy smoked white fish and Alewife. Buffalo fish are good smoked and can be real good and made to taste like pork with B-B-Que sauce. But I will draw the line a Carp.

Redman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Smoked Carp - tried it once. Not twice.

Smoked Buffalo - Those just look like too close a relative to a carp or sheephead...... think i would pass. :p

Smoked Crappie - Is very good! The low and slow cook time firms up the meat. They are excellent fried or off the grill but IMO can get mushy texture when caught from warm water. My crappie are usually not all that large though and the larger fillets seem to hold together better.

hookup

I've eaten allot of carp - but not smoked. When I was a student in CA, we'd go down to the vietnamese section of town and get baked carp in hot chili sauce and garlic. Come to realize you cook anything in enough hot chili sauce & garlic and it'll taste good.

I keep the skin on chicken when smok'n because it keeps the moisture in and adds fat. Always remove the skin before serving because it's like a piece of rubber.

Any panfish I've caught have always been fillet and fried - always a treat if you get the bones out.

Catfish can be prepared many ways and always is tasty - if the water's clean that they lived in.

Back