Smokers

blt

I saw at least 2 others use a smoker, anyone else? I don't have an offset, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker.
Pork butts, briskets, ribs...baby backs or spares, meatloaf, peppers....and more.

redman

I have owned every type smoker that has ever been made. Or well it seems that way. The off set that you are talking about is the best of the lot IMHO. I use it for every thing. Ducks, Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Peppers,Fish, Steak. Makes no difference. Never had a bad batch out of it yet. Mine is the Brinkman Pitmaster. Don't think that they make it any more but is replaced by a newer model. I use only White and red oak in it and use Hickory and Pecan as my smoking wood. Sure wish that I could get a hold of of a bunch of apple wood and some wild plum wood. Apple and plum add a very nice flavor to any type of fowl. Need to try to get a wild hog to cook in the smoker. Now that is some good eating Son. You can hurt yourself with that.

Redman

blt

I wish I could get Pecan! I used to order it on the net, but haven't done it in a while. Use oak, Hickory and cherry most times.

I'm not into it for the art of it, just the results. I can put my stuff on the Weber, set it and forget it. No need to tend to it. I've left my smoker for 8 hours before doing pork with no worries. I hate Kingsford for the smoker, and use Lump charcoal.

toadfrog

I can eat smoked meat every day of my life for the rest of my life . Got a smoker . Mostly use hickory because it is easier to get . I just go find a dead tree and cut it down . Hardly ever cut A live tree . Keeps the squirrels fat and yummy .

blt

I remember when I first bought mine, I smoked ALL the time. It was new for the family and they loved it. Now they are so used to it, it's not special anymore and it's just another meal. Man I love ribs lol.

redman

We do a lot of smoking of meat. Number one it taste so good and number 2 with just two of us the meat will keep a little longer if we smoke it. I use a good dry rub and keep the fat up top to keep it moist and with the longer smoke it is very tender. What we don't eat with in the first few days goes in to the freezer and we pull it out in a week or so to have one more good meal what is left over then goes to the dogs. Most of the time they don't get a whole lot.

Ever try smoked pork chops we like them glazed the last hour with honey and brown sugar.

Redman

blt

Down your way Redman, Texas BBQ Rub is the best rub I have ever used. I tried several times to make my own, but always go back online to order more from them. I get pork and brisket blend. Brisket blend has a little more bite to it.

hookup

I have a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gas smoker. Works great on pork, fish, chicken, veggies, potatoes, and stuffed jalepeno's.

Still working on a beef brisket.

Smoked a 8# pork roast & a big fillet of salmon over the Memorial day weekend.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Going to piggy-back on to this thread. :)

My Dad just got back from a salmon/trout charter trip in Rochester, NY. He brought back several bags of mixed fish - browns, lakers, steel and kings. He dropped off the majority of the fish he caught yesterday and wants me to smoke it for him and i get to keep some in return. No problem i sez!

So i have several thick (1.5"-2") fillets and going to start smokin' tonight after work. May have to split it up into 2 or 3 seperate smokin' sessions depending on how much i can actually fit in the smoker. I've smoked alot of catfish over the past few years but most of them are much smaller fillets than these. The smoker i have is a drum style brinkman grill/smoker. I have cedar planks to place the fish on.

Questions:
1 - They have the skin still on them - do i take the skin off before i smoke them or leave it on?
2 - If leave skin on, i assume you place the skin side down on the cedar plack?
3 - With this thick of fillets, should i score cut them?
4 - With catfish, i lightly coat the meat with olive oil - should i avoid adding xtra oil since trout/salmon is a fatty fish to begin with?

Fatman

Redman - what kind of Apple wood you looking for??? I've got a crab apple in my side yard that split a bit in the last wind storm and I may have to call the landlord to let me cut it down.

hookup

This is how I'd do it. Modificationb by the chef are always a necessity

May have to split it up into 2 or 3 seperate smokin' sessions depending on how much i can actually fit in the smoker

Yes. Keep about an 1" between the fillets so the smoke & heat can encompass the fish.

AtticaFish said:
1 - They have the skin still on them - do i take the skin off before i smoke them or leave it on?

Yes, leave the skin on. The skin will hold the fragile fish together and is easily removed once done. Also, there's a fat layer between the skin & meat that'll add moisture to the meat.

2 - If leave skin on, i assume you place the skin side down on the cedar plack?

Yes. W/ or w/o the cedar plank, the smoker will cook the fish through. Some of the very thin area's may be cooked more, but I call that trout jerky.

3 - With this thick of fillets, should i score cut them?

I wouldn't because I've never had a problem smoking trout or salmon all the way through.

4 - With catfish, i lightly coat the meat with olive oil - should i avoid adding xtra oil since trout/salmon is a fatty fish to begin with?

I make a marinade of olive oil, teriaki, soy, ginger, onion, & brown sugar. Light on the olive oil, heavey on the rest. Then during the smoke, I mop the fish w/ the marinade (not the same as you marinaded the fish - make extra, pour on the side, & refrigerate until you need it).

You really do not need olive oil to moisten the fish unless you're cooking @ high temps. I typically am below 200dF for 2-4 hours depending on thickness of fish. Slow & low.

A few other tips.

Fruit wood is great w/ fish. I typically use wild cherry, since I have a stock.

No salt's needed because of the soy.

Another nice marinate is salt & lemon & butter (or olive oil if you want to stay healthy)

Just keep it simple & you'll be happy.

bombora

Guys are you talking hot or cold smoking? Just got a Weber kettle BBQ (coals not gas) for my birthday and wanna try hot smoking some fish with it. I understand our tailor (bluefish) is brilliant hot smoked.
Could anyone set out from start to finish how to hot smoke fish? Tips, tricks?

hookup

bombora - see post 12 above for tips on smok'n fish. Hot, but not to hot.

Cold smok'n's usually for cheese & is done w/ sawdust.

JUNGLEJIM1

I f anyone is looking for pecan Cabela's has it. I just picked up a bag Saturday for $3.99. I believe they have apple and cherry as well.

Back