Smoked Brisket!

hhawkins

I fired the smoker up Thrusday. It had been awhile so it was high to get that bad boy going again. 8 1/2 pound brisket and rubbed on my own seasonings, smoked on the smoker for 7 hours using my favorite wood - hickory and made potato salad to with it. YUM-O!
View attachment 2

Attachments

• jigcraft jigs 005.JPG
    jigcraft jigs 005.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 65

toadfrog

You done flung a hanker'n on me . Got to quit that I'm get fat from licking the computer screen. Even starting to like the tingly static feeling .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey, I just did my first in the ol' Brinkman barrel coupla days ago. Tastes OK with a brine & garlic soak, but what seasonings do you use?

Mine only 3 hr. keawe(kay-ah-vay: local mesquite) charcoal + wet waiwe(vai-vee: strawberry guava) wood smoke - is longer smoke time better? If so, how do you get a 7 hr. burn?

We had ours with ulu(oo-loo: breadfruit) salad.

JUNGLEJIM1

It looks fantastic. Shame on you for putting this up while I'm supposed to watch what I eat.Just kidding. I like apple and cherry wood but add a piece of sassafras on occasion. Hawn,yours sounds great too. Stomachs growling now.

hhawkins

O.k. Hawn, here is my recipe for a wonderful rub to use on any meat. You will love it!

A Master BBQ Spice:
6 Tbsp. paprika
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
6 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground celery seed
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp.ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground majoram
1 tsp. cayenne
Combine all ingredients together and add:
1/2 cup seasoned salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup paprika
1/4 cup celery salt
2 Tbsp. hickory salt
2 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp.celery seeds
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne
Now combine all of these ingredients with the Master Spice. Now you have a rub that will kick a$$. Sprinkle rub on heavy, rub all over meat, all sides. Let set for 30 minute to an hour or over night if you like. I wrapprd heavy aluminum around the meat, shaping the foil into a bowl leaving the top open. This catches the juices of the meat and keeps the meat from drying out. Now depending on what meat you use and how many pounds depends on the time you smoke. The brisket I had done was 8 1/2 lbs. So it was 1.5 hours per pound of meat - this is a round-a-bout time, so check your meat for doneness. Hickory wood is my favorite flavor of wood, but you can use different woods; grape vine, oak, mesquite, mountain mahogany, maple, cherry, apple, alder and pecan. I'll start with charcoal to get my smoker going, I let the coals get good and hot with a flame still going I add 3 or 4 chunks of wood. When the wood starts smoking really good, I place the meat the smoker. Every hour check your embers and wood, add another 3 or 4 more chonks to keep the fire and smoke going, repeat this every hour until your meat is done. I learned all this when I was little and continue to do this. Other then tying jigs, cooking is one my many favorite things to do. Can you tell? ;)

TD - how is your tongue, still tingly?

JJ - how is your stomach? Feeling the power to smoke yet?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thanks for the rub, Heather! Questions:
1. Need both brown and white sugar?
2. What is seasoned salt? Is there a brand name?
3. Never heard of hickory salt - is that a smoke flavor
4. Do you use Kingsford briquettes?

Didn't run in the family, so had to teach myself smoking, still learning. Makes sense that the bigger the chunk the longer the smoke time. Question: my meat was a flat slab, about 12" x 9", inch & a half thick, about 3 lbs., 1/4" fat full sheet on one side, less on the other. The swap meet vendor called it "brisket" but maybe not?

Our tropical island forest is less diverse than the mainland - none of the smoke/fuel hardwoods you mentioned. We have a dry side mostly keawe, and our wet side mostly ohia(oh-hee-ah) & waiwe to burn.

hhawkins

Morning Hawn!
You will need both sugars. In a seasoning rub there is a lot of salt and sugar, these 2 ingredients balance each other out nicely. No brand name to follow for Seasoned Salt, if you have a wal-mart there with a grocery side, go down the seasonging isle and look for wal-mart brand "Great Value", get a large bottle. Hickory Salt is a salt that has been smoked. You can usually find that down the seasoning isle too. It is a little bit more expensive. Yes I do use Kingsford or any charcoal that has instant light, less headache for me. Hawn use what ever wood that you like to smoke with. You had metioned that you had used mesquite on your first go. Use it with a fruit wood. Go to the store and find smoking chips. You can use them, just soak them in water first before you throw the chip in the fire, this will help it burn slowly and smoke nicely You can use any fresh herb, soaked with water( so it burns slowly), to give an extra tasty flavor. I'm going to look up your keawe, ohia and waiwe trees and see what they are like. Your brisket you picked up was a pour cut of meat, way too much fat! Next time when you are looking for a brisket, go to a store that has a meat department that still does the meat by hand or go to a butchers market, ask for a brisket that is trimmed. Some fat is good you need that to help break down the meat fibers that way it not so tough. Brisket is the toughest meat found on a cow. Use to be a throw away meat many years ago. now it is the best or most popular meat for BBQ and smoking. Briskets are a flat meat, it comes from the breast area of cow. A whole brisket will weigh 7 to 12 lbs and should be 2 to 2 1/2" thick at one end and 3" to maybe 4" inches at the other end, it a tapered piece of meat in shape. I hope I helped you out some, any more question don't hesitate to hollar at me. Heather

hhawkins

Hawn - I hope that this chart will come up for you. It is a wood chart and the taste of the woods

www.deejayssmokepit.net-Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
I hope this works. Heather

Hawnjigs

KISS
Heather, your address should have a / instead of a -, but I found the chart. Never knew there was a diff between smoke flavors - my nose must be ruined by too much salt water. DJs sure has a lot of info! You're lucky a lot of that knowledge was passed on to you by your elders!

Our "brisket" didn't look anything like yours. The whole slab was the same flat inch & a half thickness, no taper, so maybe it was belly strap? Whatever, we're slicing it thin and topping everything with it - beans, soups, salads, etc. I kinda like tough cuts cooked tender.

Our waiwi(sorry, other spelling in error) is a type of guava so I guess thats a fruit wood. Keawe was surprisingly listed in the smoke woods chart. Ohia not listed, the most common native hardwood on the island. OK, need to make a shopping list and head to WalMart.

hhawkins

I'm happy you got the site to come up. I was worried that it wouldn't. I had found out that Ohia tree is an evergreen, which would be listed under as a conifer. Poisonous tar and smoke is not a good thing. Enjoy shopping!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Tropical deciduous trees like ohia are evergreen in HI cuz we don't have freezing winters. Its a beautiful red flowered hardwood tree preferred for firewood because of its abundance, heck, I just harvest dead trees from the forest across my street. Its the first tree to establish on new lava flows, and can flourish in the cracks of seemingly solid rock.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• ohia.jpg
    ohia.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 27

JSC

Yall were makin me hungry and then we went off on trees .... =;^)

Got a buddy that has a bag of some of the best brisket that I have ever had ... it is used only on fishin trips ..... hard time gettin together to go but this talk of Smoked Brisket will make me do some thing s I don't normaly do..

Have a good Un yall
JSC

redman

Heather that site that you posted is great. Will put a lot of it on memory stick. Your brisket look deelious. Home made potato salad and some smoked bake beans maybe a loaf of homemade bread or some dinner rolls and I know I will hurt myself.

Was interested that the site had a cheese making section in it. Nothing better than some home made cheese.

Redman

Back