Smart phone app recommendations?

Uncle Grump

Well, I joined the "smart" era - picked up my first smart phone - a major step up from the 'phone only' units I've had in the past.

It runs Android 4.1. Are there any must have applications I should be looking for/at - ie Anti Virus or similar?

Thanks

UG

Jay Wirth

I keep an eye on river level for trout fishing here in the Catskills. I use an app called River Gauges which is connected to the USGS site

Shoemoo

Get the Navionics app, especially if you have a boat. It gives hydrographic information for tens of thousands of lakes plus boundary marine waters and will show your location on the water. You can use it to record your route and mark hotspots. You can also set it to display satellite map photos from Google Earth, which is really cool. There's a bunch of different versions depending on what areas they cover. The US only version covers all 50 states and only costs $10:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Navionics&hl=en

There's an in-app purchase called Advanced Map Options for $4.99 that's also worth it, especially if you fish reservoirs where the water level changes. It lets you highlight areas with specific depths and change the water level so all the depth values reflect the amount of water in the reservoir right at that moment. Incredibly useful.

QPassage

You know those cards you carry around at Bass Pro or Cabelas? Even those your better half has. There's an app called KeyChain I used on IPhone probably on Android to, it allows you to scan them in and store them. A simple touch and there they are for you next buying frenzy.

Back