Smallie Candy

SaltyBuckster

Going to hit the river for some smallmouth this weekend.This is an 1/8 oz. with a ball collar and a size 1 sickle hook.Made half dozen of them.Painted the head first with satin black then a dip into the Crazy Anglers Crawdad color.It's like a redish orange.Kinda transparent stuff.Every head had a little run in the nose after curing.Tied it up with orange overall marabou with a ginger brown top and amber marabou down the sides.Orange Danville thread neck.
DSC09983.jpg

smalljaw

Oh man, I wish I was going to hit the susky or Juniata myself but it just isn't in the cards! That will absolutely SMASH smallies in the river!!! I have really grown fond of the action of marabou in the water since I expanded my jig tying. I need to get some browns and oranges in marabou now that I see how it goes together and even in the pic you can see the orange hue over the black, really good colors for the water you'll be fishing, nice work, excellent!!

blt

Goodluck to you. Friends are doing well the other day for smallies down around the safeharbor area.

Walleye are hitting really well also in the same area. Also heard about one of the bridges up around Harrisburg that is putting out some very large walleye right now.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Is a tried and true color combo and like how the candy orange color turned out over top the black. :cool: Best of luck and can't wait to hear a report.

Question: You mention tying it on a ball collar jig..... are you able to leave the ball on the collar when you tie it or are you somehow grinding/pinching down the ball? Never tied with a ball collar style and most any thread necks i make, i like to use a standard jig head that has a lead barb/collar and grind off the lead barb while leaving the lead collar to tie on.

smalljaw

AtticaFish said:
Is a tried and true color combo and like how the candy orange color turned out over top the black. :cool: Best of luck and can't wait to hear a report.

Question: You mention tying it on a ball collar jig..... are you able to leave the ball on the collar when you tie it or are you somehow grinding/pinching down the ball? Never tied with a ball collar style and most any thread necks i make, i like to use a standard jig head that has a lead barb/collar and grind off the lead barb while leaving the lead collar to tie on.

Attica, most of the jigs I use have a ball collar , the 1/16oz and 3/32oz walleye heas have a collar and it doesn't hamper the tie in anyway, in fact you have to get really close to the ball with the thread if you want bucktail to flair but there really isn't anything in the way like you get with a barb.

SaltyBuckster

I have so many jigheads that I tie them to get rid of an over supply.lol.Collar,no collar,ball collar.I just tie em.No alterations.

Back