Smallie Bugs

smalljaw

These are the first ones I tied this year, a friend called me today and asked for a dozen, 6 of each. These are 1/8oz weedless football jigs with a 1/0 Mustad 32786 hook, the top jig is painted copperhead and it is tied with brown silicone, brown buck tail and copper flash. The bottom jig is painted black and is tied with flat black silicone, black buck tail, and black pearl flash. I call them bugs as that is what they look like to me when they are crawled across the bottom, and they are deadly on river smallies.

DSCN03782_zps542640e6.jpg

fisherb

Great looking jigs. The only smallie fishing I do is when we go back to IL every summer. Boy are those fish fun to catch.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good - never tried the silicone out the back like that but sure looks like it will do some damage. :cool: :jig:

Pup

Very nice ties SJ. Your combination of bucktail with those sili legs does look deadly. I would fish those jigs with complete confidence. Extremely well done. :cool:

hookup

Nice job there.

I was up in your neck of the woods for a week .... freak'n awesome fish'n.

smalljaw

Thanks guys, hookup, right now the rivers are doing great but the lakes have been lousy as the temps have just now dropped so most places are experiencing turnover but moving baits are killing, about 3 weeks left for that bite. AtticaFish, the silicone came at the suggestion of a friend, I used it over the top and then I used just a couple of strands and then the way it is pictured. I still make the round head buck tail jigs that have a thinner profile with 2 strands of silicone but the way they are in this jig works great even when the fish are a little more active and you would want to add a trailer, you can add one but there is enough silicone that you really don't need one, I've been using this style for quite some time and it does produce, the silicone actually made it better even in cold water so I stayed with it. BTW the silicone is tied on first and then the hair is tied over top but I try to keep the strands on the back of the jig, if you put them on the top they don't do much and it is just a waste of material.

Back