Small tailwater big trout 1/15/12

jschmidt

Hit a small tailwater this morning and caught my 1st fish on one of my jigs!! :jig:
I fishing for about an hour and a half with out a bite... then out of Finally got this guy! 15 inches... and such a very cool dark brown.
Was so happy I called it a day.

p1150002o.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful fish - good work!

Is that the jig in front of the fish - looks like a craw pattern?

jschmidt

AtticaFish said:
Beautiful fish - good work!

Is that the jig in front of the fish - looks like a craw pattern?

Yep...same one that is in my trout jig thread... they don't look like much wet out of the water. but those zonkers are SWEET in the water. can't wait to go after some river smallies with them.

SaltyBuckster

Congrats on the nice brown and catching with one of your own handties.Now,it really begins,catching a bigger trout with a smaller jig,lol.

jschmidt

SaltyBuckster said:
Congrats on the nice brown and catching with one of your own handties.Now,it really begins,catching a bigger trout with a smaller jig,lol.
heck ya... I haven't been able to fish any 1/32 yet, because I just don't have the rod to cast them... but that is changing. I am having an Extreme Ultralight Spin/fly built on a 2 wt fly blank.

Crappiejgr said:
Beautiful fish !!! Congrats on both !!!
Thanks!

Ron Don said:
Way to go! THat is a pretty fish! Im sure you will be tying even more now!

It was almost black on top... and this crazy golden brown. I never get good pictures cause I freak out about getting the fish back in the water.

Fatman

Beautiful fish!!!!!!!! But looks like you might have been a tad COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! being out there. You've probably already done this but post a nice pic of that jig!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, awesome colored brownie - is that typical of winter? How's the cold water fight?

What tailwater? Don't worry, this ain't a CO forum, so you can share.

jschmidt

Fatman said:
Beautiful fish!!!!!!!! But looks like you might have been a tad COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! being out there. You've probably already done this but post a nice pic of that jig!!

pb070001.jpg

jschmidt

Hawnjigs said:
Wow, awesome colored brownie - is that typical of winter? How's the cold water fight?

What tailwater? Don't worry, this ain't a CO forum, so you can share.
not hardy... most fish pulled out of bear creek are sub 10"
we finally had about a week of nice weather, upper 50's and a day or two in the 60's. most the rivers, close to the front range, that ice over started showing some moving water again.

Bear Creek is a very small tailwater. the creek coming into the lake is about 4' wide. the outflow is much wide, but shallow. It takes a mile or two tighten back up and become good water again.

Old's Cool

If you can fool a brown trout with your craw pattern you should do really good with it on bass! I think a trout is a tougher customer. I'd love to see how you tied it. I'm thinking of trying one around here.

bombora

J that's a really handsome brown and a really great jig. How good is the feeling of scoring a trout on a home made jig!! It's mid summer here and the pics of snow cooled me down without the need of air-con!

Back