Small Jig Hooks on eBay ?

JUNGLEJIM1

Update on these jig hooks. Super sharp with a long shank. The #6 hooks that I purchased actually have a hook gap of a #4 and shank is almost as long as a Gamakatsu 114 #2. It's too long to fit in my 1/32 and 1/16 pro molds but fortunately have plenty of molds where they do fit. The brand is Orient Sun which has all kinds of hooks including several jig hooks I really like. So far I haven't found a retailer but will keep looking because these hooks are sharp and I'm a sharp hook junkie. I bought 1000 #10's earlier today. The bend to the eye is a little shorter than regular aberdeens and wire is thin but tied a few earlier and was surprised it didn't bend more under tension. I was impressed and would recommend this hook, should be a crappie killer.

LedHed

Sponsor
Looks like he's almost sold out. Think I should have got some of the #6s. Still have plenty of the Owners...

Have you guys seen chrome plated jig hooks - not the black?

JUNGLEJIM1

I ended up getting 1000 of each size, once the other two sizes come in I'll send you some of each to try Sonny. The same offer for Hawn as well. Just let me know if you want some. Think you will really like them. I bought some chrome jig hooks years ago and ended up throwing them away. They were brittle and broke easy. It could have been a bad batch.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I like long shanks for extra room to fit props for Boolie ties. Orient Sun appears to replica knock off, odd that their website doesn't show smaller size jig hooks that WERE available on eBay. Hopefully, the seller will re-stock.
http://orientsun.co.kr/hooks/jig-hooks/

Thanks for posting the review JJ1, the same for the other sizes would be appreciated.

Grinding off the ledge preventing larger hooks fits in Do-it Pro molds is a minimal risk procedure, speshly with a vertical press type machine.

JUNGLEJIM1

The seller mainly sells fly hooks but wanted to try these and they didn't sell very well. Don't think he is going to reorder Jig hooks. They are the 5110 hooks on website. Once other sizes get here I'll send you both some of all three sizes.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Was hoping someone braver than me would take a chance and post a review before I ordered any. Too late now.

Noticed that the 5110s are FORGED for extra strength + long shank = Gamakatsu 114 knock off at a tiny fraction of the G price.

Good score JJ1, I would like to examine a few, and I'll post a review. I THINK the eBay seller is the USA distributor for Orient Sun, so he might be able to special order jig hooks.
http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/bl...lers-and-distributors-of-orientsun-fly-hooks/

Kdog

I have had good luck and bad luck with many of the korean and china hooks. biggest problem, is on reorder, second, third batch will be different. Food for thought

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, China Mustad NPBN is still a decent quality hook, but older Ultra Points were generally stronger. And even Japan Gamakatsu, tho rarely, can let an off temper batch slip by.

Better than some mfg. with dependably inferior wire strength and off shape hooks.

Best of my knowledge, Matzuo, VMC, Mustad, mostly China mfg. Original Korea Matzuo Sickles 10+ years ago were better quality, but that changed.

JUNGLEJIM1

They remind me of the G 114's for sure which is why I got the other two sizes. Seems like everything is made in China now. Recently purchased high $$$ Garcia reel and when I got it found out it was made in China. Turned out I liked it so much that I bought a second one. Remember when the first sickles showed up on ebay I bought 100. First time I tried them I slayed the crappie and don't remember losing a fish. Started buying 1000 per size after that. I believe they were made in Korea and were better quality. Wish I still had some still.

redear

Ledhead, those sickles look a little longer in the shank or length, I like that about them. I don't see anyone else offering those mustad sickles.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thanks for the samples, JJ1.  Prior to reviewing the Orient Sun hooks, a bit about my experience with jig hooks. Started pouring jig heads in 1998 with cheapest possible Mustad 32756 bronze light wires for fresh water, later switching to sharper Matzuo Sickle light wires when they first came out.  After I noticed losing fish to Sickle bendouts, for light wires switched to Mustad 32746 Ultra Point and lately to Gamakatsu 114 in the sizes available.  As previously posted I also like Mustad 32833 2x for heavier wire ball head ties.

The Orient Sun I think #8, #6, & #4 all look good, nicely finished, sharp pointed, & longer shanked.  Beyond the good looks tho, I detected some issues. All three sizes were a bit too EZ to bend out by hand, and typical of inexpensive hooks there were a few off shapes.
1. The smallest size #8(?) eye legs were all short and there were a few slightly canted eyes and points.
2.  Middle size #6(?) had noticeable differing long-short eye legs. Very few canted points.
3.  Largest size #4(?) all had short eye legs and almost no shape anomalies.

Being more particular than most about wire strength my perceived bend out vulnerability might be a personal issue, and many especially if used to softer wire hooks like Eagle Claw 570 may consider it normal.

The short leg hooks may not fit standard 570 molds, especially collared. Better fit would be steelhead plain ball mold designed for short leg 32833. 
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/do-it-molds-round-head-jig-no-collar-molds/412165.aspx

Looks like a race to the bottom with cheap Sickle clones to replace discontinued Matzuos.

duffy

Leadhead, I spotted those too. Was going to put an order together to try a few and see how they fit but haven't gotten it done yet.

LedHed

Sponsor
Got my samples too Jim - many thnx. Think the Crappie guys would really like these thin wire hooks. The short legs = bigger gap but will be a pain to pour in standard molds. Probably have to get the mold Hj is talking about - hooks might float around a little....

Re & duffy - I'm stuck on the ECs. Looking forward to reports.

Back