small boat cod

Bucho

Had very little success lately chasing flatfish with my own boat so I was happy to follow the invitaiton of a friend who knows every single boulder in the outer kiel firth. We had 7 nice cod in the 60-70cm range which is a very satisfying size over here. Its been a while since I harvested so much filet from 3 fish alone. My friend used soft plastics, I went with a 1oz cav. shad spoon tin.

35997818kc.jpg

35997820yc.jpg

35997821ct.jpg

BTW I know which side my bread is buttered on but I like attitude of that cap. I talked to my insurance guy on the phone the other day who is (for my taste) an almost annoyingly kind and sensitive person. He said he had gotten into an argument with a left/green neighbour about Autobahn speed limit. He first tried to justify his freedom-loving standpoint with the milage of his brand new car, but then she went like "yeah but at only 110km/h, you would have...( even higher). You don`t have kids, right?", indicating selfishness and lack of responsibility for the future. She was unaware that he and his wife had given up after multiple miscarriages. :beat-up: This climate thing is getting nasty over here, the tone is becoming rougher.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looks like a gorgeous day to be WAY out there.

How do you rate cod vs. your other available table fish like zander? Here in the middle of the USA I NEVER see real Atlantic cod available for sale.

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
Looks like a gorgeous day to be WAY out there.

How do you rate cod vs. your other available table fish like zander?  Here in the middle of the USA I NEVER see real Atlantic cod available for sale.

We where not that far out, just a few miles, it only looks like that on pictures. Cod is the bread and butter fish over here, badly overfished but nothing special. Rather generic white meat fish. If you know flounder, walleye and pollock/coalfish then you`re not missing out. I prefer specimen plaice and get very excited to hear of turbot being taken on my jigs but never got any myself.

@Jig Man indeed, I would apreciate a little jigcraft.com merchandise. Frankly, when I first went to business with myself I was a little concerned about spreading too much know-how but today I laugh about it and try to spawn jig crafting wherever I can. Most folks over here are too concerned about lead pouring however. It`s not much of a a reloader country.

hookup

Bucho - nice fish! Don't under rate cod - excellent eating.

As far as your green friend, I drive a jacked-up Jeep Wrangler because it get's me to where the river fish are, kinda cool to drive, and saved my life in a head on accident years ago. Awesome vehicle, but luvs gas. I parked next to a Prius and this Eggbert stormed over to me and berated me for driving a car with such bad mileage. After his tyrant he said "I get 55 miles per gallon, what do you get?" I simply replied "I get laid" and walked away.

It's not about miles per gallon, it's about smiles per gallon

Hawnjigs

KISS
Do Germans not partake of dried cod ? In multi-ethnic Hawaii Portuguese cuisine offers a stew made with it and Puerto Ricans a cold "salad" dish that are both delicious.

Got bacalao Sonny ?

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
Got bacalao Sonny ?

No bacalao here, we like them fresh, frozen, smoked or canned. The understanding of "fresh" may vary the further you get inland though. I once passed by a high-end grocery passage fish shop down in Munich that smelled flatout repulsive. Story goes when they started the first fresh-frozen supply chains from the trawler to the inland customer back in the 60ties, they had trouble selling the fish because it was actually fresh and would not smell "right".

"Stockfisch" is heard of but not popular at all. Its funny that a traditional scandinavian trade merchandise is so popular in Portugal but not half way here. I heard Portugal had a cod fishery far over off Newfoundland long before they had chillers, maybe that`s how they aquired a taste for that. Back in the day before they had chiller supply chains here, inland folk would rather go with freshwater fish s.a. pond-farmed carp and trout.  Still today tourists frequently ask me for a decent seafood restaurant advice and I´m always embarrased to disappoint them because I don`t know any since I don`t eat out fish.

I tried a variety of store bought fish jerkey but the only one that I enjoyed was salmon so I never bothered to dry my cod.

Back