"Slim Jim" question

marginal man

A friend of mine just sent me about a dozen boxes of various weight and colors of jigs that are all labeled as "Slim Jims." These were from Bill Binkelman's company, and from looking at a couple of old catalogs, I know he (Bill) sold jigs from/for Wapsi (Lacy Gee) including various versions of "Jims." Trying to figure out if these are some original Wapsi's, or if they are Bill Binkelman creations. Either way these are pretty neat. I've included a picture of one such box.

Any info someone might have is appreciated.

View attachment 9

Attachments

• P8290001.JPG
    P8290001.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 181

Pup

I hope that you get an answer to your question as I cannot seem to find any reference online thru my own efforts. Those jigs look to me as though they were tied with craft fur, though I really can't definitively tell from just a photo.

I am curious about the paint used on those heads, as I believe that a great variety of different paints were used on jig heads back during the days of ancient Rome. ;)

Nice additions BTW! Should you have a chance, please post a photo or two of the differently-colored ones. :cool:

Fatman

Pup - I looked around too, but can't find anything. I have both editions of the Lunkers love Nightcrawlers and their is nothing in either one about jigs.

marginal man

Pup said:
Nice additions BTW! Should you have a chance, please post a photo or two of the differently-colored ones. :cool:

Thanks guys. I contacted the gentleman that sent them to me and he wasn't sure if they were Binkelman ties or Wapsi's. All he said is that the way they were packaged and labeled when sent to me is exactly the same way as when he got them out of Bill Binkelman's basement :) I don't believe they are craft fur - seems a little too stiff, more like bucktail, but I'm no expert by any means.

I'm in the process of packaging them up into smaller lots as I'm going to sell off a few since I don't have a need for this many jigs. Great chance to own a little bit of jig history, or to fish with some 25 year old originals. The colors are in the picture below (orange, "pinky", yellow head/chartreuse, and yellow head/green).

View attachment 3

Attachments

• P9030002.JPG
    P9030002.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 104

redman

Pup might have the answer to your question. They just don't have that old jig look. Think that the Slim Jim was a Wapsi product. But and this is from the dark regions of my feeble mind the Slim Jim was tied with marabou. I may or may not be right on this.

Most of the painted heads that were done back even in the late 1970's were dipped in vinyl paint. Also as I remember they had eyes white. Paul Wheland's Gollynipper was the first jig I can remember with bicolor eyes. Paul also was the first that used a pearl finish paint. This was in the early part of 1970's. Most everyone else was doing ether black or white eyes most didn't paint any eyes. Paul would cast for a week and paint for two weeks. Then tie for a couple month or so. Cap would cast once a month a Friday and Saturday then Kathy would tie bodies and Cap would put on the wings and hackle.

Wish I had a more definitive answer for you. Lacey and Wapsi were across the state from where we were. I didn't get over there very often. As he was a wholesale operation there was no retail so I only got to meet him in a social setting. By the time I was buying from Wapsi Tom had bought the business and would move it to Mountain Home, Arkansas shortly. Think that the Flutterbug was one of his (Lacey's) last big projects. He tied more flies at times than jigs. Had a crew of women that would tie for him at home on a per piece basis.

Redman

redman

MM sorry we posted a few minutes apart. If these are only 25 years old then they would have no connection to Lacey. Tom yes he would and could have been producing them. He might even have sold a bunch to Binkelman. My history of Wapsi is good up till they left Iowa. After that it is sketchy at best.

The red is very telling as it looks like the signature red that Wapsi is known for.

Redman

marginal man

redman said:
MM sorry we posted a few minutes apart. If these are only 25 years old then they would have no connection to Lacey. Tom yes he would and could have been producing them. He might even have sold a bunch to Binkelman. My history of Wapsi is good up till they left Iowa. After that it is sketchy at best.

The red is very telling as it looks like the signature red that Wapsi is known for.

Redman

Thanks for the additional details Redman. I'm sure Lacey wasn't directly involved since he sold the company in 1973. I'm guessing these are from somewhere around the 1980-1990 period. In one of Bill's old catalogs he mentions getting Tom Schmuecker to start tying a certain pattern or jig style for him (Bill), so that would be the Wapsi tie-in (no pun intended). I also know that Bill sold original Wapsi ties including a "Slim Jim" jig which were all listed in a 1978 catalog. Still can't verify what these exact jigs are yet, though. I know Bill also worked with Dan Gapen around that time frame on some jigs, along with a couple others (St. J's - Dick Bennington?).

As for the material, reading back through the catalog I found a reference to Bill using an "artificial bucktail" material for his jigs. This would explain the fiber stiffness that seems to be there and would likely be the material used in these jigs. Again, just a guess from putting puzzle pieces together.

-MM

Pup

marginal man said:
As for the material, reading back through the catalog I found a reference to Bill using an "artificial bucktail" material for his jigs. This would explain the fiber stiffness that seems to be there and would likely be the material used in these jigs. Again, just a guess from putting puzzle pieces together.

-MM

History would lead me to believe that it's, possibly, this.

Fishair

redman

Pup more likely than not. It was very popular in that time frame. They even had a jig tying machine for fishair. It was manufactured in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I still have a half pound of the stuff that I bought for a old walleye Jig pattern that was popular for a few years. If I remember correctly it was a byproduct of the commercial rug industry.

Redman

Pup

Redman,

I must someday see one of those jig tying machines in action. As always, I sure do enjoy reading your comments regarding the history behind the jigs we tie. :cool:

And... Marginal Man, I'm enjoying your pursuit of history too. :icon14:

snake River

most of the jig tying machines were converted sewing machines I have had several they take a get used to but once you master did you can really pour out a batch of jigs and hurry I bought mine from a commercial fly tying guy I knew and Portland Oregon.

hookup

I just read about slim jims in the "How to Fish with Jigs" book by Gee & Sias.

Gee & Sias says "We call this new jig a Slim Jim and it is precisely what the name implies. Almost three years of experimentation has gone into this one pattern and we do not yet know all of the reasons why it is so effective. It is a very very thinly--tied ducktail jig with the hair exceptionally long for the length of the hook used. Some of these jigs are from four to six inches long." The previous paragraph discusses how walleye are short strikers & the jigs they use need short hooks.

What what Gee & Sias says, if you're targeting walleye you may want to keep the yellow head/chartreuse and white ones. ;-)

redman

Pup thanks I love telling these old stories worn out as they are they bring a smile to a old mans heart. Been there done that got the tee shirt and wore it out.

Snake River until I read your post it occurred to me that you did buy one. Back in the day they were in the $75 to $125 range. You most likely spent more than that but you are right not to many are left that really still tie jigs.

Hook up most of the things that they named they had Jim some where in it that is because MY Mentor Jim Stone did most of the R&D for Erv and Lacey at no charge. He was a amazing man Kind and Gentle he did look like he would bite your head off until he opened his mouth and he could charm you out of your house, car, and wife and kids. He was a great Loved him like I loved Cap the grandfather I never had and he the grandson he always wanted.

Redman

Back