Slider jigs

dblevens

I don't pour jig heads, so I buy mine from different places. I noticed a couple different threads where you fellers made some of the slider jigs. They are very cool, and I'd love to try a couple of em. Anybody know where a fella could get a dozen or so in 1/16 oz?

JUNGLEJIM1

I think Charlie Brewer's heads are trademarked but I'm not positive. I do know someone who had a 1/16-1/8 slider mold custom made that has a barbed collar. I know the person who has the mold now and who might work out a trade for some.

dblevens

Fatman said:
DB

Are you talking a slider head like the Charlie Brewer heads or???? Post a link or pict.

Maybe I got the name wrong, it has kindda like a spoon shape, but its long and narrow so it has more erratic action. I saw some pics earlier, I'd never seen em before. Now I gotta try and find it again.

LedHed

Sponsor
Do-It makes the Slide Along Jig - SAJ-4A, not sure thats it or if they still make it. Don't have a pic

JUNGLEJIM1

DB,go to the home page and look under articles. I think that's what you are looking for. It'S a swim jig that was modified by hook up. I was really impressed with that article.

dblevens

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
DB,go to the home page and look under articles. I think that's what you are looking for. It'S a swim jig that was modified by hook up. I was really impressed with that article.

only article I can find is something about playgerism.? Sorry, very new to the site, and haven't figured my way out around it yet.

dblevens

k, found the article, apparently, that was the right one anyway, not the jig I saw but still pretty cool. NOt sure how that would work with a #4 hook.

Pup

dblevens said:
Maybe I got the name wrong, it has kindda like a spoon shape, but its long and narrow so it has more erratic action. I saw some pics earlier, I'd never seen em before. Now I gotta try and find it again.

How about this? Link

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, the official name is "Cabela's Wobble Jig". A Google might turn up online suppliers. Smallest size in a stock Do-it mold is 1/16 which actual lead weight is closer to 3/32. Are you planning to tie them or attach plastics?

dblevens

I was planning on tying them. Hadn't thought about a curly tail. That might be good too. Just looking for something that might make a little ruckus vertical jigging in a laydown.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Our "Capo di tutti capi" AtticaFish has some experience vert jigging the 1/16 size poured with light tin metal and nipped off collars.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
dblevens - I have played with some of the spoon heads (wobble heads/slider heads) in an attempt to get a darting action out of them when jigged verticaly. It can be done as long as you keep your tie or plastic of bait a minimum size. The bigger the size of the bait or fur/feather tie on the shank you loose some of the side to side action. They work best when they are falling - they will glide away very easily. I do most of my 'Vertical' fishing through the ice and the past ice season (that wasn't) did not give me a chance to do any more messing with them this season.

Other options would be a Lindy Slick Jig or Lindy Darters that are designed for ice fishing but would work well for any vertical fishing. Rapala Jiggin' Rap is another that comes to mind but there is not much modifying you can do with that. Some slender spoons rigged with a single hook instead of the usual treble could cause a good fuss also. Jigging something that swings around alot might get you in trouble in brush..... most of what i have done was out in open water hoping to use the xtra motion as an attention getter.

BTW Keith - You keep making me look up more crazy stuff that i don't know the definition of.......... never thought of myself as the Godfather of the JC Mafia. haha! Are you the Capo di tutti capi of K.I.S.S. A.S.S. yet? :D Maybe our gangs can work out a deal.
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I use Wobble Jigs for horizontal retrieve from shore fishing, and they work best with skinny Zonker ties. The heads need some speed to create wobble, & like AtticaFish says, that action will be affected by the size of the attachments. The wide kicked up nose and flat bottom create lift and hook upright stability. Not tried vert jigging but AF covered that. Lighter tin metal optimizes the design functions, especially as a nipped collar 1/16 tie head.

Re: Association of Shoreline Stalkers: since I'm more a follower than leader, think that makes JJ2 the ex-officio Capo by virtue of being the only other member. Definitely qualified as a bad A.S.S., he continues to amass international age class power lifting records. How's that for a guy that prefers lightest possible finesse jig gear and tekneek?

I realize some may find a word nerd wonk annoying, but maybe allowing my vocabulary free rein may be beneficial for mental stimulation, which us old fart no it alls need to keep from getting stale.

Anyone feel free to PM me if you'd like a look at some Wobble Heads.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hawnjigs said:
...I realize some may find a word nerd wonk annoying, but maybe allowing my vocabulary free rein may be beneficial for mental stimulation, which us old fart no it alls need to keep from getting stale....

And here i just thought you wanted to SOUND smart. Thats what i do. :p Either way, you the winner when you can call someone a name and the other party has no clue of the meaning........ i find it amusing anyway. Feel free to carry on with your brain refreshing exercises.

BTW - Might be a member of A.S.S. just by my habits. Am sure there are a few more members out there. I hoof-it on the bank ALOT more than sit on top the water. Past few years now, have been converting my fishing buddy into a fellow small water nut and he is catching on quickly.

jiggerjohn

Actually one of the first wobble heads I had was a regular slider head that the late Charlie Brewer ( a friend and fellow Fishing Facts writer at the time) sent to me -he had flattened the head & bent up the nose to originally keep it somewhat rock free among deep rocks. Now, the Hawns Jigs version has much better action,especially in stream current, because Keith pours these smaller and in tin ;but ,as he advises, you don't overload this head with too much stuff on the back end.Of course his rapidly-becoming-famous HU head can do the same function,but is more stable over all. My use of a small propeller of the shaft gives a great spoon-like wobble and often has this model head darting downward on the drop, or "cutting out" when given loose line. Here,again, the trick is a light tail - I've even taken to trimming over half the fur off a rabbit or mink strip to provide less resistance and more action (discovering that an almost bare zonker hide yields better undulations than a furry one!!).

By the way, in our 2 member organization, I believe this is actually Keith's year to be president,or the official A.S.S. head!! (guess that puts me at the other end!!!). And,sure, Attica, you are more than welcome in the club!!!

Back