SLF, EP fibers and Polar-Aire

scrubs

Has anybody used these materials for jig tying especially trout and panfish jigs? I have a bunch from fly tying days. The SLF especially has a nice sheen.

bill

Pup

I haven't tried any of those particular synthetic materials. However, I've just started tying crappie jigs with a product called 'Fish Silk' (FlyMasters of Indianapolis) which I suspect is very similar. At least it looks so to me. It, too, has a nice sheen. I purchased a 'hot yellow' color to use because I could not find a 'yellow chartreuse' in a suitable craft fur at the fly shop.

Looks great on the hook, but I would prefer craft fur for fiber movement. Fish Silk seems somewhat stiffer to me.

Tie some onto a jig shank and then give it a field test. Trout often like shiny offerings in my experience. ;)

Fatman

Never used the EP fibers but it kind of looks like craft fur, and never tried the Polar-Air but looking at it on-line it looks like a hank of wool.

The SLF dubbing is excellent!!! I have a bunch of colors in it, when using it to tie small jigs don't over-do a little goes a long way. The old saying on dubbing is take what you think you'll need, take half of that and then half of that. On jigs follow the first two parts of it.

With these cheap home made tools you can make dubbing look really buggy looking, use both sides of the Velcro - the stickly side will make a buggy look the smooth will help blend fibers together.
100_1952.jpg

scrubs

If you like SLF you'd probably like Pseudo Seal which I also have a pile of. I assume you're using the SLF for dubbed jig bodies not tailing.

The Polar-Aire and EP Fibers are kind of like craft fur but with a very crinkly texture. Other difference is they are not necessarily full length of the skein. Tried both on a few of the Boolie style jigs, a few from Keith and a few Wapsi gold and nickel plated heads. Has a nice transparent look.

bill

StumpHunter

I have used it to tie a few jigs. What I don't like about it is the length being uneven. It makes the tails look raggie and empty of material at the end but, it works :) The jigs I tied using it was 1/80 and 1/64. I think you can use all your fly tying materials tying jigs. I cross a lot of materials from my fly tying to jig tying. It makes some great baits.

scrubs

Thanks Ronnie. I've always tried to trim just the few fibers sticking furtherest out the back.

bill

Back