skunk on river of death (10/30/11)

jschmidt

finally got out for the first time in almost a month. Went to a typical spot here in the denver metro area and fishing the river above a reservoir. I was pretty excited to test out some of the new jigs I have been tying.
so I worked about a half mile strench and saw probably the 4 biggest fish I have seen in this part of the river. Problem was 3 were already dead and the fourth was well on his way. All 4 were easy 20"+, pretty typical is 8-10. Must have miss the spawn in the last month. For some reason I never thought about browns spawning out the same way as salmon. I also saw 2 or 3 other large browns in the 16+ range that look pretty beat up.
anyone know is it pretty common for the smaller fish to disappear or hole up with all the dead fish in the water?
I did manage two hook ups, but I think they were little river smallies, the way they were bullnosing me. both came off.

picture of the biggest brown I saw. 24".
pa300002a.jpg

StumpHunter

Hate to hear the fish came off. That is a good Brown and too bad he isn't still in the water and catchable. Thanks for posting the report and pic.

Back