sili legs

chippewa

I am making some jigs with sili legs and i am curious how long most of you make your legs? any help would be appreciated....
by the way it is a 1/16 oz ball head jig

CrappieHappy

I generally use my 1st digit on my index finger as a gauge. typically you want the tail the length(by tail i go by where the hook starts bending) of that digit. I am sure other more experienced tyers will chime in. you can also make the tail a tad longer and if you start getting short strikes trim it up. here is a pic of one i did with sili legs.

http://www.jigcraft.com/gallery/jigs/2011_02/jig_2011_02_18.html

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I use silicone bass skirts in alot of ties, not positive, but always have assumed that 'sili legs' is just a specific brand or style of them?

I don't use them a whole lot for tails but i know others do with success. Using them for collars on jigs i end up cutting them both short and long - maybe just my own preference - but leave them long on large mouth jigs and cut them short for smallie jigs. Pictures make it easier to explain:

Largemouth Jig
View attachment 3

Smallmouth Jig (some of these smallie jigs have rubber skirt material which i have found i DO NOT like! ;) They stick/melt to everything)
View attachment 4

Attachments

• 101_1518_e.jpg
    101_1518_e.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 101_1481_e.jpg
    101_1481_e.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 54
Back