sickle hook broke at 90

redear

poured a few redman heads on size 4 black chrome sickles and tied one up after paint had cured, the next day I decided to cut the kiptail off the jig and do a different color scheme. had the jig in the vice and was cutting the hair off with the razor blade when the head started turning on the hook, I knew it was broken inside the head so I just pulled the head off the shank. It broke right at the 90 bend, this was a brand new hook, altho I love these hooks it concerns me as I tie a few jigs for a couple guys that catch some large crappie every year and I can see one breaking on them at the wrong time if you know what I mean.

hookup

Matzuo sickle?

They have a problem w/ their QC. 95% of their hooks are righteous. The other 5% go into the trash can.

Metal fatigues though & it could happen to any hook

ScottV

The Matzuo sickles are about all I use but I do find a few hooks where the eyes aren't closed. I've never had a problem with hooks breaking though.

Fatman

Redear - I've used the red ones and X2 with Scott had some without the eye formed or even some with none at all.

Haven't gotten to play with the new black chromes I bought, so I'll watch to see if there's any problem.

pjmcla

I have had a few that when placed in the vice to tie they would flex like a semi wet noodle. This was about two years ago. Had about 5 out of a 100 that were that way. Had several brittle ones as well.

JSC

Not Sickeles but back in the late 60's I got a batch of Mustad that the temper was not correct and when pulling from the mold the eye would break off level with the lead ... Never had this happen before or after with the same style hook (O'Shaun Tinned) I got thru that 1000 with a bad loss ...

redear

It was a freak thing, as there had not been any stress on the jig at all. I do like the sickles though, they sure hookup alot better than most hooks.

BucktailJiger

Mass produce something and once in a while there is bound to be a few bad ones . Have actually had a couple break on me at the 90 , stuff happens .

redear

there are too many good things about the hook for me to get too bent out of shape over it though, it's not like we are paying premium prices for them, however I tie some pinkie style jigs for a couple guys that are known to catch a crappie over three pounds once in a while, I put vmc's on their jigs, I would die if they lost a trophy over a hook breaking. lol

Squeakyboatcaptain

I spoke to Robert at Crazy Angler the other day when I made an order for 1000 of the #4's and 1000 #2's... The #4's were breaking at the 90 with 8 lb test pulling against them! He gave me the option to get the bronze or red instead...
He was going to talk to the supplier about this issue. He said there isn't a problem with any of the others that he knows of.. Just the #4 black nickel Matzuos.
Excellent customer service to not only test them, but to let his customers know there is an issue with these hooks.

Jig Man

There is a good thead about this on TFF. You might call Robert about it and get his opinoin. He goes thru a lot of hooks...

Back