Should a LEE Pot leak? Need some guidance

duffy

I have a Pro-melt I got from my brother and have had it a long time. I think he bought it in 82 and it's poured thousands of bullets and jigs. It will eventually start to drip but the stem is vertical in the front and a light tap from the sprue stick, (a hammer handle) stops it. Usually a good cleaning cures it for quite a while and I have lapped it with valve compound.  I agree with keeping your pot at least 1/2 full as I've noticed (more on bullets) that the mix tends to separate as it get's closer to the bottom. Bullet blend is harder and has lead, tin and antimony mixed in and unless you keep it stirred once in a while it tends to separate. With straight lead, not so much.  I don't notice any problems until the pot get's down to about 1/8-1/4 full and then the castings don't turn out right and hardness changes. Also the heating elements are usually about an inch off the bottom and that messes with your temp and also I think can contribute to a burned out element as it can easily overheat. I always keep a cake pan underneath to catch drips and spills. Just my 2 cents.

Bucho

I have a Lee Magnum Melter for laddle-puring only that is definetely not supposed to leak. Been using it with tin, now it runs out. Obviously a hole in it.

Where would I find a spare pot? They only offer spares for the 4lbs

Back