Shipping

Youth Fisher

This post may be in the wrong spot so delete if not allowed. I'm currently wanting to make some extra money and sell some jigs on the internet (ebay and craigslist). I'm wondering what is the best way of shipping if I do sell online. Like the cheapest. This will determine if I will sell online or not. Thanks in advanced, and have a good day

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've not tried Fedex or UPS yet, but this calculator will give you USPS (United States Postal Service) rates.
http://postcalc.usps.com/

With USPS, I ship small amounts that fit in a 6x9 envelope up to 13 oz. via 1st Class Mail (parcel rate).
Generally, for larger amounts, a Priority Mail flat rate $5.75 envelope or $5.95 small box is economical and convenient and includes shipping insurance up to $50.

hookup

Dont forget shipping AND HANDLING. Time & gas to drive to post office, package material, packaging, etc.

Jay Wirth

USPS priority mail flat rate gives you a set amount so you know what will fit in which box and you don't need to calculate each order. So your shipping rates would be something $1 - $50 order shipping is $5.90 (small flat rate box any weight) $50 - $100 is $11.90 (med flat rate box any weight). That's the easiest way to go and the shipping cost doesn't seem so bad from the customers perspective - yes of course you may have someone who only wants a couple jigs and wants you to risk a padded envelope - in that case charge actual shipping costs and hold your breath...

papaperch

Also check on tax info. There are special taxes involved in selling fishing tackle. Bigger headache than the average Joe realizes.

Kdog

I do occasionally but not through Ebay, my stuff is word of mouth. I do however send out 20 or packages a week via USPS and get tracking on everything although its not worth much. Earlier this year, I sent a package. USPS claimed it was delivered. The recipient did not receive nor had any of his neighbors. I ate the shipment and sent another round via priority mail which he received. 8 weeks later I got my original package in return mail saying undeliverable as addressed. Just another USPS mystery as no one at the PO could answer why it showed delivered then finally comes back to me.

Its a shot in the dark with good odds, but be prepared to eat a shipment or 2. The other thing is be prepared to ship immediately.

Pepop

Youth Fisher said:
Also does anyone do it?
I've been selling a few of my jigs just to offset material costs & I pay a $15 per month fee for the use of Stamps.com desktop software &/or their web based app. My postage & handling include actual postage (discounted through Stamps.com) & a padded envelope (purchased at Wal Mart by 10-pack for $4+/-) and is usually just under $2 so that's what I charge. Again, my sales are usually for a dozen or 2 or 3 with weights of 2-5 oz. BTW, sign up for Stamps.com's Fred 30 day trial & you get a free postal scale to keep. It's a low end scale but not bad for a starter. Also, you can ship right from your home mailbox, no trip to the PO necessary.

Hawnjigs

KISS
When / if you get going, my best small order packing option was Office Depot 6x9 catalog envelopes with no metal clasp. I get the 250 count box. Instead of padding, I prefer a hard cardstock inner liner for shielding hook points. 8-1/2 x 11 standard sheet paper size folded in half fits nicely inside the envelope. Best free supply opportunity is political flyers out of Post Office recycle or trash bins during election campaign season.

moswampy

Small flat rate box works best for me. It is free to you plus you get tracking and insurance. When I sell jigs there is a minimum amount that I will sell that way I am not constantly going to the PO. I feel it deters the "I want six to try" people. This way they are all in or nothing. With flat rate they know exactly what the price is from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QPassage

Hawnjigs said:
When / if you get going, my best small order packing option was Office Depot 6x9 catalog envelopes with no metal clasp. I get the 250 count box. Instead of padding, I prefer a hard cardstock inner liner for shielding hook points. 8-1/2 x 11 standard sheet paper size folded in half fits nicely inside the envelope. Best free supply opportunity is political flyers out of Post Office recycle or trash bins during election campaign season.

I second the political flyers, though I waste a lot of time adding captions and drawing the needed Photoshopping. :D
I know ebay for selling will ship 1st class parcel and their are discounts (about 17%) I believe. I use the up to 3 oz it ships first class anything over that is it 2 day priority with the insurance. Set up an account at USPS, there are flat rate discounts there for doing it online.

luremaker

Also consider using small lure boxes you can buy via Janns netcraft and other tackle supplies stores for crankbaits. Keeps the hooks protected when shipping in a padded envelope and first class. When I used to sell on ebay I used padded envelopes and first class mail and never lost a shipment.

Hippel

x2 Stamps.com

Really simple to use but there is the monthly fee.

You can buy their labels and print professional looking ones with an adhesive backing, so they don't see how crappy your (my) handwriting is.

Inexpensive padded mailers from Uline work great. I like them better than the flat rate boxes because I can fit up to 8 or 10 padded mailers in my mail box.

Then there's the shipping options. First Class is the cheapest but your packages get held up from time to time, sometimes for 2 weeks.

I've had no such issues with the Priority Mail option, but it's never cheaper than $5.00.

Don't forget Federal Excise Tax on the sale of sportfishing equipment including lures. For whatever reason Uncle Sam wants 10% of the sale. Build it in to your pricing. Google IRS Form 720 for instructions.

Airstreamfield

Youth Fisher said:
Also does anyone do it?

I recently had the same thoughts...I went to ebay, but they actually make it hard to make small sales, really a pain in the rear honestly. I would say if you can sell locally go ahead and do that route. Shipping is a pain anyhow. I'm going to try and contact some local shops instead, ebay doesn't like me.

hunter7711

Youth Fisher said:
Also does anyone do it?
I sold hundreds of items on ebay. For jigs I use padded envelope and ship first class usps. If you spread your jigs around and keep it flat, it will cost $.85 to ship. Don't plan on making a lot of money.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Back