Sharing Catch Illegal?!

Hawnjigs

KISS
A little late, but I'm reading the WY Rules & Regs booklet and one rule specifically states:
"It is unlawful to take game fish for another person"
Does that mean I can't give fish I catch to fellow anglers, friends, or housebound grannies?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
We have something similar in Ohio that maybe could be along the same line of thought.......... You can not catch fish that would go towards another fellow anglers kreel limit. When they wade the rivers for walleye in the spring - you must have your own stringer, can't combine two peoples fish on the same stringer or they WILL bust you. Some people have found a way around this for the spring walleye run where they will keep fishing after they catch their own limit and partner has not..... they will hook the fish then hand off the rod to the angler who does not have the limit and let them 'catch' the fish. Legal loop hole.

After the walleye run, they do slack up about how that works but you are still not legally supposed to catch fish and then give them to someone else for their limit. Have heard of people taking along toddlers who are no where near old enough to even fish and try to use them as a warm body and claim they can now catch two limits.

We have a new law that came in a year or so back where you must now keep the skin on the filleted fish if you are going to clean them before you transport them so they can be identified and checked against legal possession limits. They are cracking down some which i think is good.

Fatman

Attica we have people who do that here in Vermont when the stocking trucks go around. They get there limit and everyone of their "kids" get theirs. Plenty of people get busted though. I stay away from the part of the pond where they do the stocking - plus I wouldn't want to eat any of them for a few weeks anyway they taste like liver from the fish pellets.

Great idea leaving the skin on for identification!!!

Jig Man

I haven't had any problems............

Can't even catch my limit, much less someone else's! :D

ragged edge

Here in New Mexico last year the 4 of us in one boat was checked by the game and fish department. They wanted to know if we had any luck and wanted to see our basket of fish. We showed them the fish and they did not count even though we had over 50 sand bass the legal limit for the 4 of us was 100. They did not ask who caught what...No Problem........

Back