Shakey Spring Clips And Hitch Hiker Screw Locks With Center Post

cadman

Guys,
I don't know if anyone pours shakey heads here or uses hitch hikers, but finally someone is selling these at a reasonable price now without us tackle makers getting ripped off. The spring clips are made in two wire diameters .020 and .024. These look similar to the spring clips used for all of the Do-It shakey molds.

The Hitch Hiker Screw locks have the center post in them, which can be cut off to be used as a Hitch Hiker. These come in small and large.

So who has these....................Shorty's Hooks and Captain Hooks. Shorty's sells these in 100 and 1000 count quantities. Captain Hooks sells them in 25, 50 and 100 count quantities. The price for any and all of these is far cheaper than anything on the web. 1000 quantities of the Spring Clips are priced at almost half of what you would pay on line. They are all Stainless Steel, and the standard wire diameter which go in the Do-It mold is(.024 -.025), which is what the spring clips are.

With that said I have some ordered and I will be getting the shortly. Once I get them I will try to see if they fit the Do-It molds and give you guys feedback. So give me about 3 or 4 days, and I should have them and give you all the info you need. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

toadfrog

I just open the eye of a hook , then straighten the hook . Crimp the hook to the eye of my rig jamb a plastic on and go . Don't tear up the plastic as bad . I know, I know I'm a cheap skate .

cadman

Toadfrog nothing wrong with making what works for you a good option. I only mentioned this is because I sell a lot of bass jigs and I've spent a fortune on these little spring (thingy) clips. Guys that I sell to just like them. Since I found them cheaper I thought I'd pass along the info. It's always good to save money.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Cadman have you tried mustang wire? If you go through enough of them they might be a good option also! Im pretty sure i saw they've made those before.

toadfrog

I can show you how to make them yourself . Not to hard . Might make 40 an hour little slow but if you are not in a hurry it's all good . cadman I saw some of those prices for those things eek! My A.D.D. makes me type before I think . Not everybody wants to go to the extremes I do . Thanks for the post .

JUNGLEJIM1

I use the screw-loc forms with my shaky heads. I pour them for my own use so I don't need a bunch but if something works better than what I'm using I'm interested. Let me know how they turn out.

cadman

Ron Don, I was going to have Mustang Wire make them for me as I know they are the ones making them for Do-It and Barlow's. However I had to buy 10,000. He said they were special order and wouldn't run any less than that. I sell a lot of jigs but 10,000 would last me several years so I decided against it.

Toad, I'm always looking for someone with a creative flair, so I would be interested to see how you make them.

JJ1, I'm getting some in so I will post here how they work out and if they fit the molds. Should be in, in a couple of days.

JSC

Ted .. Thanx for the info ... Have made a few but if I can get them cheap enough I would.
Let us know how they work out.

LedHed

Sponsor
Very interesting Ted - like to see how they work out for you. Didn't someone on TU make a jig or did a tutorial on making the screw?

JSC

LedHed is correct ... There were several different ways "Kelly" posted the first one .. others used a drill and etc. Rather than use a drill I use a modified "Kellys Way" ... really have not made that many.

LedHed

Sponsor
It's kind of like butt rings; you can make them but it is much easier to buy them. It might be cheaper to make - but then you have calculate your time.....

cadman

Ok guys here is the feedback on the keeper springs and screw locks.

IMG_2591.jpg

I have the following molds for the spring keeper: FBB-6-SLA, SRH-6M-SLA, SRH-6G-SLA AND WRM-6- SLA. Now these keepers come in two wire diameters .020 and .024. See picture above. The 1st spring from left to right is a Do-It mold spring. The second spring is the .020 wire diameter and the 3rd spring is the .024 wire diameter. As far as the other two springs are concerned, you can see that the .020 spring is about the same height as the Do-It spring. The .024 spring however is much taller which poses the following problem. In all of the molds that I have mentioned, the .020 and .024 spring will work in all the cavities except the 1/8 and 1/16 oz cavities. Now the .020 spring will work in the 1/8 and 1/16 oz cavities however you may have to bend the long leg a bit as it is too long and sticks out too close to the sprue hole which may give you incomplete pours. The .024 spring will not fit in the 1/8 and 1/16 oz cavities because as you can see in the picture below, it is longer than the .020 spring and it is harder to try to bend to make it fit. If you look at the picbelow, you can see what I'm trying to explain. In the 1/16 oz cavity, the .024 spring breaches the sprue hole, in the 1/8 oz cavity, the spring is very close to the sprue hole which may cause pouring problems. This happens to all of the molds I mentioned to all of the 1/16 and 1/8 oz cavities. Now as far as the quality of the springs they are excellent, they fit in the molds with no problem as far as sitting in the cavity. Also the .024 diameter wire matches within (.001) of the original, and the spring outside diameter is with-in (.002). So this spring can be used in the Do-It molds I have mentioned with the exceptions noted.

IMG_2589.jpg

Now on the other screw-lok neither of them would fit a Do-It mold, as their outside diameter far exceeds the cavity it needs to go in. See last pic. However I don't believe they are meant for that anyway.

IMG_2592.jpg

If anyone needs more info or dimensions, PM me and I will help you with what you need.

Fatman

Cad

With as close as they are, could you put them in the mold and holding the straight piece in the groove hold the hook piece and roll it to make sure the sprue hole isn't blocked??? Does the wire have to be in a hook shapre?? Or can you put them in the mold cut the hook part and put a quick L bend in it??? so as not to block the sprue??

This way you could still pour the smaller size heads. I know you'd have to sit and do a whole bunch of them so pouring would be quicker but just an idea

Second one not a clue

cadman

Fatman said:
Cad

With as close as they are, could you put them in the mold and holding the straight piece in the groove hold the hook piece and roll it to make sure the sprue hole isn't blocked??? Does the wire have to be in a hook shapre?? Or can you put them in the mold cut the hook part and put a quick L bend in it??? so as not to block the sprue??

This way you could still pour the smaller size heads. I know you'd have to sit and do a whole bunch of them so pouring would be quicker but just an idea

Fatman,
The hook on the end doesn't have to be round, a 90 degree bend should be fine. For the price of 1000/$30 which is half the price of what the online stores charge, yes it is worth a little experimenting and making them work.

Fatman

Cad

Don't have the mold but I looked at it as a wire former. The little one is the problem child.

That's a great price on those!!!!!!!!!!!

Back