Scud Pattern

Len

Do any of you have a simple pattern for scuds? I would like to try these for ice fishing.

jjsjigs

Banned
Sure. I don't have a step by step with pics. But I'll explain it and later this week I'll put on a post with step by step pics.

Scud/Cressbug Fly
PC060021.jpg

Colors: Anything you wish, however, tan, olive, and grey seems to work best on my freestoners and spring creeks out here in Pee-Aye.

1. Use a circle hook or flyfishing scud hook/curved nymph hook
1a. OPTIONAL: lead wire on the shank for weight
2. cut a very small strip of ziploc baggie (or you can use the retail scud backing they sell) no wider than a quarter of an inch
3. Start a thread base
4. Tie in some wire (any color) for ribbing at the bend of the hook with the wire extending behind the scud
5. Tie in the ziploc strip and extend behind the bend (like the wire)
6. Tie in some peacock hurl, ostrich hurl, or really spiky dubbing
7. Move thread up to a position behind the eye
8. Now palmer the hurl (or dub) to the thread position
9. Lay the ziploc over the top of the hook shank and hurl/dubbing pile
10. Palmer the wire to create a ribbed segmentation over the hurl/ziplock strip
11. Make a small head and whip finish
12. OPTIONAL: tease out the hurl/dubbing on the underneath side of the shank to mimic the scud/cressbug legs.
14. Your done! Have a beer and admire your handywork.

toadfrog

Long time ago when velcro first came out I found a way to use it in tying. Take the the side of the velcro that has the cuckle burr spikes glue it around a corn dog stick like a cue tip. Does a neat job of pulling out legs on scuds or anything else you need to fuzz up. Great job.

jjsjigs

Banned
Another item that works just as well as velcro is: If you have pistol cleaning set. Take one of the brushes and use that.. it roughes up dubbing and makes it look really buggy.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
jjsjigs - looks like a winner to me! Thanks for posting. :cool: Was going to add to use a bore brush as well, it does work good but i tend to use velcro alot just because it is usually handy.

Toadfrog - Like the 'velcro on a stick' idea, might be helpful to get in tight between the hook point and shank.

Len - I usually do mine a little different than jjsjigs explained his. I believe his is the more traditional way, this is a pattern i started to make before i had colored thin guage wire to do it in the correct way i read in a book. For flies, i like them lighter, but..... for ice fishing, the extra weight may be wanted. Never tried them through the ice, but i wrapped the hook shank with lead wire and put these on octopus hooks thinking that they may be a little more suited for vertical fishing - sit upright on the line. Fly fishing for bluegill... the true scud hooks in #8 or #10 are awsome!

Anyway - here is how i do mine: The scud back i use is radiant raffia, you should be able to find it at a craft shop in many different colors. The dubbing is a mix of craft fur and rabbit fur.

After the shank is lead wrapped, i tied in 2 silicone legs out the back. Then tie in a piece of raffia out the back end as well, it helps to make the raffia plenty long. Make sure the raffia is spread around the body when you tie it down, this gives the shellback look. Twist a small amount of dubbing on your thread and wrap it to make a small dubbed area.
wt_scud_01.jpg

Pull the raffia forward and wrap it down. How many wraps depends on what kind of thread you use. i just wrap it till it makes a decent segment.
wt_scud_02.jpg

Then pull the raffia towards the back and make another small dubbed area.
wt_scud_03.jpg

Pull the raffia forward and make another body segment. Repeat this as many time as you need to create the body.
wt_scud_04.jpg

I left room (not enough here - almost blocked the eye! :dodgy: ) and tied in 2 more silicone legs for the front. If you are doing it with front legs/antenae, it is easier to put the legs on first before you dub and wrap the last section. Then create a small thread head and finish.
wt_scud_05.jpg

Here are a couple finished ones. Maybe too much for on the ice?? Not sure yet, hope to try them out soon. - Russ
wt_scud_06.jpg

Len

Nice bodies Attica on those scuds.I am still doing research via the internet on a scud and actually what a scud is because this type of tying is all new to me. Thanks for the ideas.

jjsjigs

Banned
Attica. Nice scud tie. Yes my pattern is the traditional "tweedy" flyfishing pattern. Len since your icefishing you may want to try Attica's pattern. It looks a little bit more "icefishy" if you know what I mean?

jjsjigs

Banned
You may want to check this video out. Maybe your local library can do an inter-library loan? Mine did when I requested this DVD.

“Fishing Crustaceans and
Snails” with Gary Borger. This video presentation
reminds us that trout eat a lot more than just insects,
and it might be worth our time to consider these other
food sources. The video is broken into the following
sections.

• Introduction
• Why are Crustaceans important
• The Scud
• Retrieves
• Fishing streams and lakes
• The Cress bug
• The Tuck cast
• Crawfish
• Imitations and tying instructions
• Retrieves
• River fishing The Brooks method
• The Snail
• Imitations and tying instructions
• Fishing tactics
• The floating snail pattern
• The double haul

JJ's Jigs Review: This video is has a lot of good information and
tips on how to fish with crustaceans and snails. In a
little more than half an hour Borger gives an overview of
the different types of crustaceans and snails. The video
also includes instructions on how to tie the patterns and
fishing tactics.

Overall I would rate this DVD 3.5/5. If you have never
experimented with alternate trout food sources before
this is a good video to start understanding the full range
of trout foods.

jjsjigs

Banned
I'm taking my scuds for a little bath on Sunday. High temp of the day should be 30F with a possibility of 2" of snow. Excellent winter fishing temp's. I'm fishing on one of Pennsylvania's famed limestone spring creeks, aptly named Spring Creek (real original, right?). The cool thing (besides the weather) is that this creek holds only wild browns. It hasn't been stocked in over 30 years and this creek holds more brown trout per square mile than any other creek in PA. So I'm either gonna get epically skunked... or it's gonna be fish in a barrel. I'll post up my report on Monday (probably after I get my frostbite treated from wading with the ice cubes).

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck jjs - sounds cold - and fun! Looking forward to hearing you success. :bigfish:

P.S. Don't trust the weather man............ :dodgy:

jjsjigs

Banned
Oh I don't trust the weatherfolks. It's the only profession I know of that you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep your job (well, politicians too!). They say 30F for Sunday... so it will probably be 45F and sunny!!

I'm going to be using a bastardized version of the scud called a Ray Charles Fly.

tsrcfly.jpg

As far as the name goes, one legend has it that the name refers to the idea that even a blind fish could spot this fly. Another legend has it that even a blind fisherman could catch a fish with this pattern. I don't care which is the truth. If it catches fish, and is easy to tie, I like it. It does, and it is, so I'm fond of this pattern.

This fly is supposed to represent a scud or sow bug. It does a great job of it. I have seen maybe two dozen versions of the Ray Charles, and all of them work fine. Most have some type of ribbing to hold the back in place and make the fly more durable, but the fish don't care if it is a simple version or not. Neither do I.

jjsjigs

Banned
Well what can I say about yesterday adventure? The wings and beer at the Sonestown Inn was the highlight! (The best chicken wings... EVER!) It's a 3 hour drive one way from my house to our wintertime fishing area. We hit Spring Creek at the "Fishermans Paradise" section of the creek. It is special regulation water that is flyfishing only and no wading with Catch and Release.

Anyways... it was warmer in Bradford County, PA [my HQ's for trouty goddness] yesterday than in Centre County, PA - Bellfonte/State College, PA. WHich is wierd because the State College area is normally 10 degrees warmer than where I live (about 16 miles from the New York State border) I froze my ass off! I started fishing at 10am and by 11am I was in the Jeep to warm up and drink coffee. We only made it until 2pm and then we could not stand it anymore.

The fishing was TOUGH. only 1 trout to hand on a #20 Ray Charles. They were very sluggish and would even "spook" and run away very slow!!! All the fish (even the carp) were hugging the bottom and you had to bonk them in the nose with the fly to get them to look at your offering.

There is an eagle (and a old nest) around the PA Fish Commission Waterways Conservation Officer School. That was really cool to see. It was targeting the trout in the stream. We were waiting to see it grab one and fly off with it. The creek has changed around the Spring Creek hatchery... the Effluent hatchery pipes outflow which normally hold about 60 fish scavaging for flushed pellets were vacant of willing participants. Which is very strange. Usually, one can find most of the larger fish basking in the warmer effluent discharge water. The new sewer plant must have changed the water chemistry or the discharge water is not as warm as it normally is.

I don't think I'm going back to the "Fisherman's Paradise" for while. It was just too damn cold. I need to wait until the mercury is above 30F. Yesterday it was 22F with a cold biting wind. As I looked at the weather channel on my smartphone I noticed it was 34 at my house. I shoulda stayed closer to home to fish. I would have been WARMER!!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well... better than sitting around the house for sure! Too bad you couldn't get into some more fish though. By the up-coming forcast, it looks like this cold is sticking around for at least a little while. You have any place to ice fish out your way? lol!!!

Back