Scamming

Microbaits

I have noticed that people on many sites are posting about attempts and having accounts hacked. Quite a few have posted Phishing attempts for under a dollar, those were mostly from credit card companies denying access. I am now considering more protected payment methods, other than my Debit card. My credit union offers Visa only. some places don't accept Visa. Another choice is Pay Pal. Pay Pal also offers a credit card account. But for those that don't qualify for a credit card or don't want a credit card a Pay Pal account is free and secure in the fact that your purchases are tracked and any unauthorized purchases are handled by Pay Pal. I personally choose Pay Pal at check out. You can register for an account by clicking on Pay Pal.
I really don't feel secure paying with my Debit card. It's convenient but vulnerable.
Just since this past Friday there are dozens of posts commenting that they have noticed attempts on their accounts. Phone scamming has also increased dramatically. With the number of Holiday purchases being made it's difficult to keep track of them. Be safe!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Just the last cupla weeks I'm getting slick official looking emails requesting some kind of interaction, like confirming to accept a gift certificate on Amazon. Luckily the cabrons email source address doesn't match the commercial firm they are pretending to represent, so scammers are obvious.

Thanks to caller ID I can choose to ignore phone calls and let them go to generic message. Tho I usually don't bother to check few days ago I traced the callers of 2 similar #s to some Hispanic personages in a NE city, hence my use of "cabrons" above.

So far so good with a credit Mastercard - never refused or had any problems Yet...

None of the physical stores I shop at accept Paypal, so its only good online when vendors accept it.

Last edited:

Microbaits

Thanks. That's good to know about PayPal. Being informed about card purchases and payment can save a lot of headaches.

JigCraft

Administrator
Staff member
This is one reason I recommend two factor authorization on every site I visit including this one.
Don't reuse passwords. I use a program called 1Password. It's $60 a year, it works across all my devices. There are other free alternatives.

Back