Scale info needed

Nightprowler

What type of scale can be used to weigh out single small jigs like ...1/80, 1/100, 1/24,....ect?
Thanks for any help,
NP

Hawnjigs

KISS
I use an Ohaus triple beam balance which scales down to tenths of a gram. Small jigs are weighed 10 at a time then divided by 10 - more accurate than weighing individually. Gram calculations are divided by 28.35 for ounce conversions.

Hawnjigs

KISS
No chart, but lets see...
1/100 oz. would be 28.35 grams divided by 100 = .2835 grams
1/80 oz. = 28.35 divided by 80 = .3544 grams

In reverse, if a jig head weighs .3 grams,
divide 28.35 by .3 = 94.5 = rounded off 1/95 oz.

Hawnjigs

KISS
To clarify, the first gram to oz. conversion method(dividing gram weight by 28.35) will give a decimal value, the second method(dividing 28.35 by the gram weight) will give the bottom number in a 1/ fractional value.

To answer this topic, the second method is more useful for weights 1/2 oz. & lighter.

For heavier weights especially multiple ounces the first method is more appropriate.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
NP I use one like this it will weigh up to 25 pounds worth.Easy to use and inexpensive and accurate to boot.All you do is weigh out 20 items and it sets itself,then you can start adding them to count out as many as you need up to the 25 pound limit.
scales.jpg

papaperch

You might want to check out digital jewelry scales. They have around a 7 ounce capacity and are accurate to .0005 of an ounce.

Depending on model and how fancy you want to get. If you want to get really fussy. Make just heads of lead in mold no hook.

As previously suggested lay 10 on scale and divide by ten. Jewelry scales will read in troy ounces ( used for gold and silver and other precious metals ) or standard ounces. Prices run from 30 .00 to way more than any fisherman wants to pay.

redman

Was in the jewelry business for over 49 year. Ended up with four scales and the Ohaus is my goto scale of chose. Mine I can weigh one jig at a time. I like the idea of 10 and a average. Noticed that there is a variation of weight from one jig to the next. Hook weight or hollow spot in the jig that can't be seen??

Want to get really down to the nitty gritty try the carat setting with some math you can really see the weight difference in the jig weight.

Redman

Back