satin question

macon1

My satin ribbon says it's one hundred percent polyester and my eyelash yarn says that it's also a hundred percent polyester. Will they both react to ultraviolet in the same manner as shown in some pics of the glowing fibers? Thank you, Mac

Fatman

Never thought about that one. I have regular satin cloth my sister in law gave me, about the only way is shine a UV light behind it. PM one of the guys who did it and maybe they can post a pic if they have some satin ribbon.

StumpHunter

I don't have any satin ribbon but I do have 6 colors of the satin cloth and the white is the only one that glows under my UV light.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
This subject can be confusing... the way the tackle companies are pushing the UV makes it even harder to understand IMO. From everything i have read, material has to be specially treated to reflect UV light or else naturally reflect it like bird feathers do.

There are actually several different types of UV light naturally emitted by the sun and we (humans) can not fully see the reflection of true UV without the use of special light filter. A black light shows the reflection of fluorescent colors and only a small fraction of UV light wave length from the treated glass of the black light. Fluorescent lamps are also coated with special materials that actually convert UV light into a form of light visible to humans. Below is copied from the Wiki page about UV light.

Ultraviolet A UVA long wave, black light
Ultraviolet B UVB medium wave
Ultraviolet C UVC short wave, germicidal
Near Ultraviolet NUV visible to birds, insects and fish

This is me trying to translate something i will admit i truly do not scientifically understand so take it with a grain (or two) of salt. That said - i do believe that a true, pure white color that shows up well under a black light probably does have benefits of higher visibility whether the sun is shining or not.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
StumpHunter said:
I don't have any satin ribbon but I do have 6 colors of the satin cloth and the white is the only one that glows under my UV light.

Here is another excerpt from the Wiki page that explains why white shows up so bright under a black light and POSSIBLY reflect UV light that we can not see......

"Fluorescent optical brighteners
Colorless fluorescent dyes that emit blue light under UV are added as optical brighteners to a number of white-colored products, from white paper to white fabrics and other textiles as textile finishing agents. These ubiquitous dyes are the reason for the bright blue fluorescence of many papers and fabrics under UV. The extra blue light emitted by these agents counteracts yellow tints that may be present, and causes the colors and whites to appear whiter or (if colored) more brightly and purely colored.
UV fluorescent dyes that glow in the primary color of paints, papers and textiles, also are used to enhance the color of these materials."

Hawnjigs

KISS
To further confuse the UV viz issue, some night fishermen, including locally, suggest black lures are effective after dark.

Fatman

Hawn that one's been around a long time, night fishers after big largemouths in the south cast all black jitterbugs, they worked but I think alot had to do with the sound made by the bait bopping back and forth from the metal plate in front.

I like how the satin fibers look, and in the pic when wet but all the UV stuff - this for me is making decent jigs and catching some great eating fish - I do enough tech stuff at work!!!!!!!!

smalljaw

From the little bit I know, I found that bass along with other sight oriented predetor fish could distinguish reds and blues but then 10 years ago or so a new study actually found a lot more rod and cone cells in the fishes eyes and upon finding that they did some more testing and found bass, unlike most animals in the wild, can distinguish the contrast between green, yellow and orange. That is important because in the wild Leopards are ambush predators and the reason is they blend in even in green bushes as most animals can't distiguish the yello coats from the green bushes but apparently fish can. It was in those same test that researchers noticed that the fish were also reacting to natural flourescense and UV reflection. Now, the report never stated what they were doing or using to make the fish react but whatever it was had a natural UV light reflection that the researchers knew and understood. I bought a good deal of Spirit River UV2 material last year to try and it is supposed to be the only material treated with not only the UV reflecting dye but another UV flourescent dye as well and it seemed to work but it may have just been the action or something the times I was fishing it but the fish were hitting it much more than normal. That said I think the dye used to give satin its metalic sheen may be naturally flourescent so if it is we may all benefit.

papaperch

The black is not hard to figure out. Remember a fish is looking up at least most predator fish. The black stands out in contrast to not a totally black sky. Just the opposite of us looking down on black on unlit water it would be almost impossible for us to see.

Shoemoo

Fatman said:
Hawn that one's been around a long time, night fishers after big largemouths in the south cast all black jitterbugs, they worked but I think alot had to do with the sound made by the bait bopping back and forth from the metal plate in front.

I like how the satin fibers look, and in the pic when wet but all the UV stuff - this for me is making decent jigs and catching some great eating fish - I do enough tech stuff at work!!!!!!!!

It's because of the way light behaves underwater at night. All the light comes from the surface. Fish that hunt primarily by sight and feed upward like crappie are looking for the silhouette of prey passing overhead against the backdrop of the illuminated surface. They can also sense targets through their lateral lines, but they rely on their eyes for the final approach and strike.

When I'm fishing at night, I usually switch to a jig with a dark body and bigger profile. My favorite is the black cactus chenille since it's dark, reflective and gives the jig a nice poofy body.

As far as UV goes, UV light is not visible to humans, period. Fluorescence and UV are not the same thing. I have heard a lot of manufacturers are claiming UV when their lures or materials just fluoresce.

There's a company out here that makes yarn for tying yarn balls for steelhead, and they've slapped a UV sticker on every single color, including black. Think about that for a second. UV reflecting from the color that is by definition the complete absence of reflected light.

So while some species of fish can see UV, there is no way to check whether the materials or lures you are paying extra actually reflect UV light without a camera equipped with special lenses. It's nice to have, but I would not pay extra for stuff that claimed UV.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Shoemoo said:
...slapped a UV sticker on every single color, including black. Think about that for a second. UV reflecting from the color that is by definition the complete absence of reflected light....

BUT - you have to remember that UV is not in our visible spectrum, so what color it looks like to us, does not matter. A black insect might look black to us but look like it is glowing to a an animal that can actually see UV. One of the claims of tackle manufactures is that UV light waves can penetrate much deeper into water than visible (to us) light. At a certain depth, our visible light disappears and no color (red, blue, black, white, etc.) can be seen, but UV light may still be present. If the lure is UV reflective, it would still be visible to those animals who can see that UV spectrum.

My thoughts is that it could have an influence in extreme deep water fishing, low light and low visibility situations. If you are fishing even moderately clear water, in shallow depths during the middle of the day...... i can't see where it would make any difference.

Back