SATIN DUCK JIGS

bombora

They are sweet jigs Jim. You made a box full of goodness! Raelly like the ones with the chrome heads. UV paint and fibres getting big here for lure and fly making.

redman

We have had a lot of wind and rain here so has kept me in and tying. The other day I went to Wally World to pick up some supplies for the camp and stopped by the fabric dept. They had a full line of the costume satin. I decided to pick up a half yard of the white to try after seeing Jim's Ducks. Wow the price was right and after tying up a few ducks with it I am sold. Now I have to wait to the next time that I go to WW to pick up more colors. Think that I may have to pick up some yellow, blue, red, and pink.

We are on the quest of the ultimate crappie jig and I feel that we are coming close.

Redman

redear

Redman, I'm glad you are getting involved with this too! I like the white as well, as it really has a nice shine to it.

redman

Doug in addition to tying I have been reading a bunch about the ecology of our lake. As it is the only NATURAL lake in Texas there have been many studies done. I have been reading mostly about the bait fish that are in Caddo lake. There seems to be 4 main forage fish Gizzard shad, Threadfin Shad, Texas Shiners, and Emerald Shiners. Most studies state that the Gizzard Shad is the number one bait first for the Crappie followed by the Threadfin Shad and last the Emerald Shiners. So I have been trying to match my patterns to them, The shad aren't a big problem except for the black dot. The Emerald Shiner I am working on and think that the costume satin will be the thing that will really set this jig off.

I am convinced after this falls fishing that this duck jigs are a very deadly bait. Think that the Crappies think that they are going after the very small shad. With a red collar and some red flash in the pattern there were some nice big fat slab crappies taken in the shallow water when they were in close to the bank. Now with this cold weather and rain they will be in the main river channel and I will longline for them with pony head jigs in a big shad pattern. we will have to wait till the end of February when they start to come back in to the lake to try the Ducks and Emerald shiner patterns again. Will keep everyone informed as to the success of these jigs.

Redman

Back