Sand Flea

Barefoot

I caught some sand fleas and made an attempt at matching the color for some wobbles. I got the perfect color lavender / grey and then screwed it up by adding candy orange to the glitter / gloss coat. These heads will be good for experimenting with hair spinning though.
SandFlea.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
If you ever want a beefier hook for salt water, the Owner 5313 will fit with minor mold modification, #1 in the 1/8 and 1/0 or #1 in the 1/4. Just need to slightly deepen the hook eye & shank slots for the heavier wire and trim a bit off the tail end of the shank slot. Or for a max bulletproof hook the Owner 5316 2x in the same sizes can also be accomodated.

Or actually, the heavier wire hook fits are close enuf for the insert and bang method. Small one hand sledge and wood blocks work for me when I'm impatient.

JSC

I have some gray that matches the Sand Flea fairly well and splatter with red .. Yours looks good.

HJ with heavier wire it will be hard to pour with this mold ... worth a try

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've poured a bunch of Wobbles with Owners - 1/8 #1, 1/4 #1, and 3/8 1/0 . As long as the hook shank goes straight thru the head & shank slot the pours are complete.

In fact I've got 50 - 3/8 1/0 Owner 2x wobble heads sitting around that a customer never took delivery. All are full pours with complete collars and barbs. Anyone wants em I'll let em go for the cost of the hooks + postage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OWNER-90-2X...465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3058ba19

The same eBay hook seller has other sizes of 5313 and 5316 available. Right, they're not cheap.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Here's a pic of 1/8 #1, 1/4 #1, & 3/8 1/0 Owner 5316 2x Wobbles. I forgot that I slightly raised a roof sag on the 3/8 size - you can see a slightly raised "tunnel" on the top surface of the casting over the hook. Maybe, this mod wouldn't have been necessary with standard heavy wire Owner 5313s.

Attachments

• Wobbles.JPG
    Wobbles.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 134

toadfrog

Dang Kieth that gave me an Idea . Not jig related but !!! got a keel buzz bait gonna get a line down the top . Worst mold I ever had to expose a hook .

JSC

Here is a rack of WH tied for the grand kids to chunk in the surf or at the pier. Tails clipped for this area "Pompano Style" Teen Agers that enjoy a little fishin in the salt.
View attachment 5

Attachments

• WobbleJigRack.jpg
    WobbleJigRack.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 79

Barefoot

Those look real good; is that buck tail? Can you post up a close up of the white ones? I can't quite see the head color.
I have learned to trim mine even closer - within 1/4 inch of the hook.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Are those mostly the same size? Reminds me of the days when commercial jigs were available in only white and yellow. Do the light wires ever bend out when boosting up a pier?

JSC

Hi
Here is a shot of both top & bottom Colors special gray (beiage)(sp) splatter black top red throat. I have left them a little longer as most want them like you said about 1/4 inch or less from the bend of the hook .. HJ most of these have the Mustad Needle Point black nickle and are a little stouter .. take a big fish to straighten them. On the white ones I would keep them the same length when chunkin at spanish & etc .. but for Pompano I would shorten them as with the Chartruse/yellow ones. The material is FisHair .. holds up good to teeth. sizes 1/4 & 3/8
View attachment 6

Attachments

• WobWhiteTopBottom.jpg
    WobWhiteTopBottom.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 71

Jettywolf

I'd always add yellow or orange to those jigs, because Pompano, Whiting, and others in the surf LOVE sand fleas with "roe"!!
They carry the row up underneath them and maybe a material that can carry some scent would be a good addition to a Sand Flea jig.
A gel scent, that can be applied and will soak in.... Jus' and idea.

-Jettywolf in Jax Fla.
captdaves.com

Back