Samsö September 2015

Bucho

Took a little time out and went for a 1 week guided fly fishing trip to the danish island of Samsö. While I haven´t been fly fishing at all lately, Bernd from First Cast is a hard core fly angler, 8 hour trips casting into onshore wind etc. what ever it takes to get that herring-fed seatrout. Consequently, I also brought a kayak and some jigs to have some variety and take the edge of.

23105732ak.jpg

After some undersized trout and a weaver, I got that elusive +20" trout. Standing next to the guide gets you the best pics :cool:

23105735ci.jpg

Evenings in the cottage saw intensive tying :cheers:

23105730pe.jpg

- and smoking :food:
23105737co.jpg

Third day was jigging time. Baltic/atlantic mackerel of this size is great sport and much sought after by fly- and light tackle anglers. This one went for a finger long 1/4 tin finn racoon boolie. Fought like a trout twice its size.
23105731bv.jpg

One of the guys was a very insecure, absolute beginner on the fly and brought very high-end spin tackle as back up. I borrowed it for just one cast but didn´t help him much with his self esteem issues I´m afraid...
23105733xs.jpg

Fifth day I took my kayak for a spin. Took a little time to get accustomed with the waters there. They are pested with weavers, small aggressive bottom dwellers that are said to be the most venemous fish on the continent. Any lure that came closer than 6`to the bottom was plugged with one of these little buggers.

23105738ag.jpg

Pretty much every small lure was plugged with small fish. Even tins got me sandeels and weavers that followed the jig up for more than 60`.
23106240gy.jpg

The olny large jigs I had were a 11gr sandeel slip jig that I trolled behind a jet diver. Got me a decent mackerel
23106239md.jpg

Got another, better fish on a 1oz (24gr with tin) buzz-bomb knockoff that I fitted with an insert and assist hooks.

23106241gi.jpg

hookup

schweet

Type of fishing I have never done.

So you said i took a little time to get accustomed with the waters in a kayak. You in a river? Or swells from waves? Noticed you got a Hobie - nice yak - bit, stable, so I'm thinking the waters were big (compares to small rivers I'm in).

Thx for sharing.

Bucho

Sorry for not making myself clear, I meant the fish(ing) rather than the water. I´m well acquainted to the baltic sea but not used to such a nusience of small fish. I had to check my trolling lures every 10 minutes for all kind of gars, sandeels, weavers and so sticking on my hooktip without triggering the release. Should have brought more big baits.

hookup

Do you eat those mackerel?

I use to catch them all the time in CA - as you called the weevers, nuisance fish. Meat was blood red & oily. Some said they were good smoked, but I never liked them any way there were cooked.

Luv'd the aerial shot.

Bucho

Smoked mackerel is one of the very, very few fish that I go buy from a shop, and directly from the hot smoke they are even better. Key is freshness, I never even freeze them. I hardly ever catch them though. Large offshore schools are one thing, but small flocks of good sized fish in shallow baltic waters is a different ballgame. I would probably think differently about them if they were more abundent in my home waters.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Great pics, Bucho! Those salty trout look very similar to sweet water versions, unlike the USA seatrout.

x2 on macks being one of he few fish I bought, in Hawaii. An Asian specialty brined & grilled, haven't seen em here in the Heartland.

Any large predators that feed on the macks?

Bucho

We´ve had porpoise in fly-casting range several times. One guy (from the heartland) got so nervous about them that he left the water :D No fish though, sandeel- and herring-feeding seatrout are pretty much the apex. There used to be a bluefin fishery in nearby Oeresund back in the 50ties but those times are over.

creekychub

Sweet report. Mackerel are some of the coolest looking fish, those and the false albacore (bonita) on the Atlantic Coast. They're on my bucket list for sure!

Back