Saltwater material

hhawkins

When tying for saltwater, does it matter what material you use or is there specific materials? What colors work the best? Or are the colors that are tied for freshwater double as saltwater? I have a family member that lives in GA. and fishes in Florida on the weekends. Thought some handtied jig would be a nice gift. I didn't want to call him, because of giving away the surprise. Thanks Guys!

ScottV

Hey Heather, I use the saltwater neck hackle from Barlow's a lot. The only difference is the size of the feathers. The saltwater hackle has longer and wider feathers so you can get bigger "V's" off of the feather after you cut off the tip. Of course, it costs a little more too.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I think most any material will work, but i am pretty sure the hooks have to be for saltwater or will corode quickly. I only have limited 'salt' fishing experience though... and that was many years ago!!

JSC

Hi
Most any material will work & depends on the area and what they are fisin for.
In my area .... Nylon Filament is generally the #1 material ... Yellow, White, Pink, Chartruse,
also Flashabou (silver #1 & gold next) .. Find out his target fishing.

Make sure that the wrappings are epoxied (spelling) over.

JSC

toadfrog

Salt water jigs use a lot of synthetics for really long tails. large northern buck tails and salt water hackles are used 6'' or longer . The hooks either need to be tinned or have sea guard nickle coating . on 5/8 you can use 575 EC gold or Mustad hooks. Average size of hooks 3/0 to 9/0 . 8/0 and 9/0 are hard to find in qty less than 1000 . 9/0 cost about 3 bucks a piece . The colors seem to range in the oranges ,yellows ,greens and blues often with bright silver high lights added. Head weights generall run from 5/8 to 6 oz. unless your after sharks and marlin ect.

Pup

You can browse http://www.geoffsjigs.com/ for a few ideas too. I really like his bucktails. :cool: It's been a while, but his ties have inspired me to tie larger profile jigs using tube jig heads in the past. Here are two that I tied on 1/4-oz. heads with 2/0 hooks I believe.

lmbgw003.jpg

bnwhhrjig004.jpg

JSC

Attached is a Pix of some different Saltwater Jigs used in this area.
#1 ... A Type of Cobia Jig.
#2... Asstd Pompano Jigs
LH__ Favorite style for this area.
Middle___ Some commercially produced Pompano Jigs top one is by Nylure, bottom one is a dude by Barracuda (both of these are really old ones) RH is asstd general Pompono jigs and utility jigs.
#3 ... Assorted General Purpose .
All of these were poured and painted by LedHed .. great job ... the tying was done y urs truly.

Hope this mite help a little

JSC

Attachments

• SWJigs.jpg
    SWJigs.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 54

LedHed

Sponsor
Black nickle hooks work well and give the jig a great custom look. I like the Mustad BLN or Gamakatsu 603s. You might want to try some of hawnjigs leadfree jigs......

Nice lookin jigs JSC.

deathb4disco

hhawkins said:
When tying for saltwater, does it matter what material you use or is there specific materials? What colors work the best? Or are the colors that are tied for freshwater double as saltwater?

A few years ago, I picked up a video put out by Bass Pro. It's Lefty Kreh tying several standard fly patterns, including Lefty's Deceiver, the Clouser Minnow, and the Half and Half. Other than some Krystal Flash, he only used natural materials (bucktail and marabou, mostly.)

Any one of those patterns would work great tied as a jig. The video is very good, and I think BP still sells it. Yep, here it is:

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-...eo-with-Lefty-Kreh-DVD/product/29353/-1372030

Back