Saltwater Jig Hooks

cadman

Can someone tell me if the Black Pearl or Black Nickel finish on the Mustad and Eagle Claw hooks can be used in saltwater??

Thanks in advance

SaltyBuckster

I use all the black nickle hooks in Mustad and the heavy black nickle sickles.No rust as long as you rinse them off when you get home.

blt

WD-40 is used as an attractant by some people. It has been discussed on several of my forums I go to. I have seen people spraying lures before tossing them in to fish at the inlet. Never tried it myself.
I do rinse my reels really well, then let them dry, and spray with WD-40 to store until my next trip, and I know the line is has got some on it.

SaltyBuckster

Sorry,but I have to disagree.A buddy of mine had sprayed his tackle box with WD-40 after he had a little surface rust on some of his stuff and could'nt get a bite,just on the front and then the side of the boat with his hooks.Meanwhile everybody else was catching fish all around him.He changed out his hooks with someone elses and starting catching fish like the rest of the guys.

blt

It's OK we don't agree. I have seen other wise also that it did work. Like I say, I don't do it, will not do it because I never needed to. But, like I said, I hose down my reel all the time when done fishing. I'm sure that braid had soaked some up.

LedHed

Sponsor
Cman have used the BLNs from Mustad with no problems. Also Owner and Gamakatsu BLN are good hooks.

Read somewhere that they use fish oil in WD40. The 40 means it was the 40th formula that they tried.

blt

You know what, I never really said anything about the original post, yes, I use a 5/0 92553 coated hook in saltwater and no issues.

Back