Sally's Staining Powder Paint

duffy

I have two bottles of Sally's hard as nails. One is older than the other but still fluid. I mixed a very small amount of Acetone to thin it a bit for a needle applicator. I glued some 3D eye's on a chartreuse powder painted head and it left a yellow ring around the eye. I thought it had melted the eye a bit but it seemed ok just looked a bit funny. Now I applied a drop to the threads on a head I just tied with the same color and an orange yellow stain crept out from under the thread. I tried a drop of the newer un-thinned Sally's and it doesn't appear to have the same effect. Do you think they changed the formula over the years or is it the acetone? Even the un-thinned old Sally's seems to do it though.  Do other cements do this on the powder painted heads? I don't like super glue as it seems to get brittle.   
Thanks for any help.
Ryan

Fatman

Sallys for some reason reacts with chartreuse and white powder paint. I don't know if they changed the formula or not but that's why I use Duco Cement and haven't lost an eye yet.
100_5792.jpg

gaspumper

There is a thinner made especially for fingernail polish,I got mine from a beauty supply store.I use it to thin Sally's hard as nails.stays clear.

slammingjack

I found the same thing with yellow chart. On my jigs. It is Acetone making it discolor. After trying all kinds of clear waterproof glues, the only thing I found that works is Wapsi Fly head cement -Water base. No acetone no discoloring. Works real good. Just don't dip the whole jig head in it. Getting it out of the hook eye is a real pain.

Pup

I have a mixture of Pro-Tec Powder Paint (hot pink and yellow chartreuse) that is used to create an orange-colored jig head.  Recently, I used clear Sally Hansen's 'Hard As Nails' X-Treme Wear Nail Color as a topcoat over a couple of 'eyed' jigs painted with this mixture.  The bottle of Sally's now has a yellowish tint to it.

I'd be cautious coating any jig head, painted chartreuse or a mixture of, with any brand of nail polish.  I may go back to brushing or dipping jig heads into DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze whenever I don't want to take the time and prep to use epoxy as a topcoat.  It doesn't react with any paint in my experience.

duffy

Thanks for the tips fella's. I see that Mod-Podge makes a gloss water base sealer/glue that's dishwasher safe so it should be tough. Think my wife has some of that I might have to give a try.

Kdog

Just had a brain fart. Back in my QC days, a test for properly applied and cured powder coat was to wet a rag with acetone and wipe for 10-15 seconds. No staining meant everything was probably good. Just made me think you have a cure issue rather than a Sally's issue.

hookup

If I paint a chartreuse jig head w/ Sally's just after curing, then I get a nice orange/yellow color that I use for tying baby perch jigs.

If I let the jigs sit a couple days after painting, and the paint a chartreuse jig w/ Sally's the color stays.

When applying an eye, I use a toothpick with a very small drop on the tip of the toothpick and have no problems with bleeding.

duffy

Well I finally got to a wal-mart to just for the heck of it check out some glues. They didn't have the Duco and not the right type of Mod Podge. I decided to take another look at Sally and found an array of different types and noticed that they also had different formulations. I figured they just put all the same in the bottles and named them different except for the ones with oils in them. After much scrutinizing and some odd looks from the ladies around I decided to try one called No Chip #2246 and one called Dries Instantly #2124. Did a little test last night and can say the Dries Instantly lives up to it's name! Put a thin coat on a nail and it's practically dry by the time you get the brush back in the bottle and screw the cap on. Thought this may work well as it really wouldn't give it time to react with the paint and I was pretty much right. Took two heads one cured better than the other, painted with yellow chartreuse and gave them a test. If I really pushed it by slathering it on and then handling it right away it did soften the paint a little bit and I got some color on a rag but it didn't make the colors run or change. The finish on them this AM is shiny and really hard. Thought about putting the instant in my applicator bottle but don't know if it'll set up in the tube too quick which would be a bummer. Anyway there does seem to be a difference in the formulations and by me adding the acetone to mine it threw off the balance. We'll see how this goes on the tulip eyes.

saltyfeathers

I just started using the duck cement toward the end of rockfish season when I had to whip up a couple extra baits as replacements and didn't have time to mess with 30 min epoxy. Seems OK so far but as it was at the end of the season AMD we were seriously lacking in big fish this year, I can't say how it holds up long term

Back