Round 1: Powder Painting...

jschmidt

Got a chance to test the new fluid bed I made. I couldn't wait a couple more days for my jigs to get here, so I did my first run though with a half dozen BPS jigs I had laying around.
mixed results...
1 jig that I was proud of, man does the shine of cured powder paint look good!
another that was good but had a paint caked eyelet
and the rest had a few bare spots here and there.

so now the questions...
what do you use to clean up jigs before painting? I hate the little spurs left from the molds. file? Sandpaper?
how much powder should one put in the fluid bed? (I put in about a table spoon and a half)
At first I tried to just keep the jigs in the cloud/mist of the powder... which I thought was the right way. but I never seemed to get the jig covered in powder. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Then I desided to swish the jigs in the powder at the bottom of the fluid bed. I felt I got a much better coating, but maybe alittle to much.

overall I am pretty happy, but it is going to take practice.

Hawnjigs

KISS
To avoid dust issues from filing or sanding, I use sprue trimmers for smoothing down nubs & ruff spots. The cutting edges need to be kept sharp for nipping & shaving off excess metal. Pic of my small jig head tools which have served me well for over 10 years.

Edit: the EZ Lap "Super Fine" hone is used to sharpen the trimmer edges, not for smoothing the lead.

Attachments

• SprueTrim.JPG
    SprueTrim.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 63

Jig Man

Dang, ya'll got all kinda fancy stuff... I just drag the sharp edge of my pocket knife across mine!

hunter7711

I guess I have OCD...LOL They have to be perfect. Since I'm just tyeing for myself and to give away time doesn't really matter.

jschmidt

RE: Round 1: Powder Painting...
I guess I have OCD...LOL They have to be perfect. Since I'm just tyeing for myself and to give away time doesn't really matter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the same way. I will probably spend 3 days trimming and filing before I even plug in the oven and fluid bed again.

JSC

"Dang, ya'll got all kinda fancy stuff... I just drag the sharp edge of my pocket knife across mine! "
====================
Been doin it that way for more years than I am goin to say ... Got an "Old Hickory" bait knive that I have ground down just right ... a straight "Scrape" does the job for me.
The sprue on some will break off real easy while others need the help of the gate cutter.

2 cents worth .. with inflation today 8 cents .. by tommorrow it will be at least 10 cents worth.

Back