Rotary Vise

BucktailJiger

Call me crazy , bit in the butt by the tying bug , jig tying junky , or what ever it is , But I'm ready to step up to a Peak Rotary . I think I'm to far gone for help LOL !!!:beat-up:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the meeting Crappiejgr, my name is Russ, and i am a tie-aholhic. :jig: :p

Ok - good place for this question.....

Who here uses the 'Full Rotary' feature of their vise? I have a Griffin that is rotary and i find myself using it to actually wrap material less and less. Chenille on crappie jigs i will set my bobbin in the cradle and spin the chenille on but chenille is about the only material i use the 'rotary' with. Some of my chenille body jigs are wrapped the old fashioned way too since there might be things in the way (swivels or sili skirts) or if it is weaved on. I do use it to flip the jig from top to bottom or just to spin it around to see the other side on EVERY jig i tie, but my old vise that was not full rotary did that as well. I would never go back... just sayin'.

Thread necks and thread body jigs: Does anyone wrap the thread by rotating the vise? Same with dubbing, hackle palmering or the palmered flash? Maybe i don't use my tool right. :huh:

Pup

You've posed an interesting question AF. :cool:

I believe that I can get away with 240-270 degrees of rotation and still be happy with a vise. Like you Guys, I'll only rotate the vise with chenille and that's when it's holding a hook. Nowadays, my vise needs to hold and turn more than just hooks. It should hold other materials in such a way that I can work on them easily.

That said, being the owner of a Regal/Regal Knockoff, a very expensive Dyna-King (true rotary), and a Griffin, the vise that is proving itself over and over again to be my most versatile and most-used is...

My Griffin Superior 3ARP. It has the best jaw design for holding both hooks and materials of the three I've mentioned. Also, it functions as a true rotary vise (360 degrees inline) when its jaws are set up horizontally. That's 100 percent of the time for me.

Jig Man

It's kind of like a whip finisher....Do you need it? No! Do I use it? Yep! and glad I got it...

CrappieHappy

Quint, you done got bit by the bug ........ make sure you get a D-handle... lofl......

I use mine like AF and RD do for the most part , but do actually use it others ways as well....

Fatman

Attica

That question comes up ALOT on the fly tying boards. Some guys make the argument that the classics were done on a stationary vise and it's cheating to use a rotary. When I looked to upgrade my Thompson A (I still have it), I really wanted the Dyna-King Barracuda!!!! but then I looked at it more and just how much would I really use the rotary feature??? During a NORMAL fishing season I don't really tie much during actual fishing time if at all so why bother.

IMO - I can place materials better by hand - and with some fly patterns when you use peacock herl it has you leave a really small space (I'm talking hackle thin space) so when you palmer the hackle up it goes in the groove, then you re-inforce with thread wrap.

It really comes down to a "I WANT IT" or "DO I REALLY NEED IT"??? I know some guys over at Fly Tying Forum that bought em and a month later sold them in the classified section, but when you've always tied on a stationary vise it's second nature.

Now that new Peak rotary - Man I'm really tempted but can't see putting the money out. I was lucky when I got my DK King-Fisher - on sale and the shop was having an anniversary party with another 40% off - $65 total, and for me it does what I need it to do.

yellowjacket

i have a griffin spider i got for xmas. adn i only use it for wrapping thread body jigs and laying down the first layer of thread

Mike Andrews

Crappiejgr said:
Call me crazy , bit in the butt by the tying bug , jig tying junky , or what ever it is , But I'm ready to step up to a Peak Rotary . I think I'm to far gone for help LOL !!!:beat-up:

I bought my 1st Peak when I was fly fishing and sold it along with all my tying stuff when I got out of fly fishing. Had no idea that I'd end up with a crappie addiction and tie jigs. When I started tying jigs there wasn't any question which vise I wanted...you guessed it...another Peak.:icon14:

blt

I took a look at the new Peak last week. I really like it. I will be getting another vise probably this year, still not sure which one I will get.

Fats.....wants and needs is always a funny thing to talk about. Do we really need fish finding electronics on our boats? (don't have a boat) How bout the high tech rods and reels, fishing line and such. I know one need I have, to fish more! lol.

StumpHunter

I have an Anvil Atlas vice and love it. I started out with cheap rotary vice and I still use it while camping, need something to do while setting in the camper. Chenille wrapping is nice with the rotary. I like being able to turn the jig or fly around 360 degree. As for using it for the rotary, not much.

Fatman

I hear ya on the fishing more, I'm looking forward to Spring this year (YES IM BEHAVING) LOL. Don't think I could take it if something else goes wrong.

Shoemoo

Doesn't the non rotary Peak allow you to turn the hook, just not in line? I mainly use the rotary function on my vise for palmering feathers and examining the jig from all sides. I still prefer to wind chenille the old fashioned way. For me it just works better that way.

You know what they say about the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence. I think it boils down to how much you're going to use the feature. I tie my jigs on a Danvise, which was inexpensive but a definite step up from my initial kit vise. Would buying a more expensive vise make my jigs look nicer or hold up better? Probably not. It's possible to spend a whole lot of money on things that won't necessarily allow you to tie better jigs.

Back